TakaHisa Blade pics...Hada confirmation and School/Teacher

benatthelake

Attached are a few pictures of my newly acquired Nihonto and Koshirae….a few known details are: Hozon paper, Takahisa (1st Generation) is the Smith, Kanbun era (although some debate if it’s a bit earlier), Koshiare is early 1800ish.

2 Questions/confirmations for the board.

1. Would you agree this is simply Ko-Itame Hada? It is very tight and fine as you will see.

2. I would appreciate some thoughts on the School or Teacher. Some research indicates Takahisa (my sword) (Echizen domain) was the student or lineage of Takahira (Kaga domain) based on the quench pattern of box shape and other attributespost-4607-1419688110794_thumb.jpg. Active period seems to be close, location makes sense (Kaga is next to Echizen). Also attached is one of the only pictures of Takahira I could find. I think it is a stretch, but I defer to the experts.

Other comments are appreciated.

Took me a while to make this purchase…see the current line of discussion on "Newbie purchases rules of thumb." Looked at a lot of blades and talked with a lot of people and dealers (some dealers were people too but not all) :lol: . In the end, I wanted the complete package…Nihonto and Koshirae. Shira saya felt incomplete to me. Subsequent purchases may be Shira saya, but thought I should buy my first Nihonto based on it’s original purpose and design. Although my Koshirae is not original it is also made for “someone” versus a cobbled together combination of fittings for export market in the 1800s.

I am a bit biased of course and enjoy and appreciate the fittings and historical/prominence elements!

Ben M.

post-4607-14196881121453_thumb.jpg

post-4607-14196881132373_thumb.jpg

post-4607-14196881144221_thumb.jpg

post-4607-14196881155188_thumb.jpg

post-4607-14196881165787_thumb.jpg

Shira saya is not incomplete.

Nihonto have rested in them for decades as I imagine yours does now right?

I understand what you mean though.

Personally I think it better to purchase based more on blade merit as the study of fittings is almost an entirely separate field.

Congrats on your first nihonto!

Note to Noobs (including me ten years ago): This is how you do it! Well done and since you followed the suggestions posted here, you've done very well for your first piece. Nice looking sword. I don't have anything to add regarding the technical aspects/questions you've asked but thought a "well done" was in order.

Note to Noobs (including me ten years ago): This is how you do it! Well done and since you followed the suggestions posted here, you've done very well for your first piece. Nice looking sword. I don't have anything to add regarding the technical aspects/questions you've asked but thought a "well done" was in order.

Thanks Joe. I saw your new sword pictures posted under translation thread as well with the beautiful hataraki. Please correct me if I am wrong but I see some similar characteristics in my sword hada.

Ben

Nice sword Ben, well done...

Some more info here, maybe of use.

http://sanmei.com/contents/media/S11455_S7582_PUP_E.htm

Alex.

Alex: Yes that is my sword. I was seeking additional thoughts and confirmation. Yuji Fukuoka (sanmei.com) also suggested the link with Takahira, but I cannot find any additional information.

Ben

Thanks Joe. I saw your new sword pictures posted under translation thread as well with the beautiful hataraki. Please correct me if I am wrong but I see some similar characteristics in my sword hada.

Ben

I see some nice nie in your hamon, but I don't see much sunagashi or other hataraki, but that may just be the pics. The hada does look similar as it appears to me to be tight itame (as is mine).

It is a gorgeous sword.

The Koshirae is also gorgeous with the abundance of what looks to be a reversal of the dots in the Mōri Han Mon and on the Kashira it looks to be a triple Sasaki/Owari Mon.

Henk-jan

Thank you for you comments. Actually it is Watanabe mon thoughout koshirae.

Ben

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..