Utsuri

Jean

No Stephen, my old friend,

As you will say in the States, I am nearly "broke" and I have already my signed tachi Yasumitsu.

My last blade shall be a Yamashiro one within a year and a half and I shall have completed the Gokkaden.

I have already:

- a Naoe Shizu which is better in my opinion than the one on Fred W's website.

- a Bizen Yasumitsu tachi (Kamakura sugata, suguha)

- a fantastic Yamato Hosho/Tegai

- a Tametsugu tachi which Koshirae is under restoration

Then, I shall probably sell everything to buy an oustanding blade (compared to the ones I have :D) and that will be all.

"This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten ...." :laughabove:

Hi Jean

I saw this on Fred's site and even as a non Bizen fan I have to say I was really taken by it. I think it is a beautiful looking blade.

As you know, you and I follow a similar collecting path trying to put together a few good examples of each of the main traditions. I am currently lacking a Bizen example and a Soshu blade, having deviatied in to such things as Aoe and Enju. I somehow doubt that I will acheve the one example of each tradition that you are striving for.

I thought for some time about converting what I have in to a single blade (having already done this going from 25 to 3 at one point) I am not sure that when it came to the final decision I could do it. partly becaue I think pieces are often better seen in comparision to others but mainly because the responsibility of caring for important works becomes increasingly onerous over the years. I would be interested how you view this.

Sorry to deviate and thanks for hoghlighting that beautiful work it looks to be an exellent work (even to w non Bizen lover)

Difficult decision Paul,

In fact I have stated above my wish. Now, I really don't know what will be my financial position within two years. The advantage of having 5 swords is that when you are really short of cash you can sell one and cut the loss if any. Nihonto market price is declining. I will probably loose money on all my blades if I sell them. The best price I could get is by going through a top auction house like Christies, but the fees are outrageous. Selling all the blades and buying one results in a gamble which is the following,: I shall never sell it and wish I never have to sell it. :cry:

It is dangerous to put all the eggs in one basket.

The only way to make money (small profit) is by buying and selling Kodogu. I have always make profit in buying/selling kodogu (mainly tsuba). For the time being they are my money savings.

It is true Nihonto and indeed collectables in general have not kept pace with inflation therefore cheaper than what it use to be. However certain wartime gendaitos by top smiths has bucked the trend, at least that how it appears in online sales. 10yrs ago a Gassan Sadakatsu katana in good condition can still be had for under $9k in many websites, these days that will get you a tanto by the same smith.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..