Cool little detail in Tatsuyoshi mei

Gabriel L

I realize this is sort of actual nihonto discussion but it felt too trivial to put in the main section.

tanto0013.jpg

Somehow despite owning this tanto for years now I only just noticed that the forked end in the "tail" of the 竜 Tatsu kanji is, presumably, an allusion to its literal meaning of Dragon.

Anyway, I thought it was a cool little artistic touch.

EDIT: anyone else have nice examples of interesting details in mei style?

He did that quite regularly on his later mei. I used to tease him about it regularly....He was a very talented smith and a friend- it was a real loss when he passed away last year. Hope you enjoy your tanto. It would make him happy to know you appreciate his work.

He did that quite regularly on his later mei. I used to tease him about it regularly....He was a very talented smith and a friend- it was a real loss when he passed away last year. Hope you enjoy your tanto. It would make him happy to know you appreciate his work.

Indeed. I was surprised and saddened to hear about his passing; I definitely treasure this piece.

This is too interesting and well done to leave in the Izakaya…

Thanks Brian, glad you appreciate it.

would love to see more of the blade, great stroke work and file cutting.

I'm actually away from my collection for at least a month or so (recently moved back to DC from NY, but haven't finished clearing the old apartment out), and for some reason I've never gotten around to taking really good photos of this blade. But here is the original photo Chris took, as well as one really old detail shot I took.

Next opportunity I have I will get some better images.

post-437-14196878807936_thumb.jpg

post-437-14196878809034_thumb.jpg

Stephen,

That used to be my Tatsuyoshi sword that you referenced on Swordpolish.net. I had it custom commissioned via Chris Bowen. When I made the difficult decision to sell it, I had it posted on Swordpolish.net for a bit and then directly sold it in 2010 to John Kurata at Ricecracker.com You may want to contact John if you are interested and see where it ended up after that.

His work was spectacular and very underrated by most collectors I came across in the US. Several years ago when I sold that piece the love for his work was not that strong and it ended up selling for a fraction of the price it originally cost.

It's nice that Tatsuyoshi-San is getting recognition for his swords these days, but I am quite sad he passed on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..