Umetada Shigenari mei: is it genuine?

andreYes

Dear all,

I need your opinion about the Umetada Shigenari mei on the following tsuba.

Does anybody have a picture of his reference mei? I've seen several examples in internet (most of them on the MFA site), but they seems to me quite different...

This tsuba has a NBTHK certificate - an old "green paper", but I heard it's not reliable enough :(

post-1053-14196878489266_thumb.jpg

post-1053-14196878493982_thumb.jpg

Dear Andrey E.,

I had a similar tsuba and after doing some research with a few issues of the NBTHK Monthy magazine covering the Umetada school I was able authenticate the signature by comparing it to the examples provided. Keep in mind I was also looking the workmenship as well not just the mei. Once I get home will check my references and reply with any helpful information.

Hi Andrey E.,

Here is the information I have.

Shigenari (重成) located in Yamashiro (山城) Province, He was a retainer of Bakufu Government who was a member of the mainline Umetada (埋忠) school around the time of the fifth generation master Muneshige of the Genroku (元禄) era 1688-1704. He often made tsuba in a Kaneie (金家) style. A example of this artisans work is featured on page 51 of Lethal Elegance The Art of Samurai Sword Fittings by Joe Earle.

In Tsuba Geijutsu-Ko by Dr. Torigoye lists Umetada Shigenari as a second level artist of the main branch located in western camp of Kyoto in Yamashiro Province. The other part of the mei on the right side of your tsuba reads "Yamashiro Kunni Ju" (山城國住).

Here is an example of his work from Issue #636 of the NBTHK monthly magazine. In my opinion the signature is similar enough therefore I think your tsuba is authentic. My reasoning is the strange angle of the "Yama" (山) character which is observable in your tsuba and the published example. Also shape and style of the "Ume" (埋) is somewhat consistent. Finally more importantly the workmanship which the NBTHK says is about average is also consistent with your tsuba as well as other examples I have seen of Shigenari work. Overall I like your tsuba and love Umetada school work in general. :D

post-1126-14196878530054_thumb.jpg

This tsuba has a NBTHK certificate - an old "green paper", but I heard it's not reliable enough :(

Hi Andrey E.,

The old NBTHK papers are reliable enough at that level in my opinion especially if they were issued by the main office in Tokyo. The problem with the old shinsa system were mostly with some Jyuo level nihonto and some of the certificates being issued by the branch clubs outside of Tokyo. This is one reason now all submissions for shinsa at all levels are examined at the Sword Museum in Tokyo the main office of the NBTHK.

To get back on topic here is what I think is a Ko-Umetada tsuba currently in my collection. Enjoy and have a great weekend. :beer:

post-1126-14196878536867_thumb.jpg

The old NBTHK papers are reliable enough at that level in my opinion especially if they were issued by the main office in Tokyo...
I see now! Thank you for clarification. I've learned about problems with "green papers" not long ago, and didn't understand the situation...

Beautiful tsuba! Especially I like the shape and the raised mimi.

The coming weekend is supposed to be very interesting here, in Moscow: Saturday is the Day of the City, and Sunday - mayor elections :)

I'd be very wary of kicho, or green, papers. At least with regard to swords.

I have a signed, 6th gen. Echizen Shigetaka with kicho papers. It is dated 1663 on the nakago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8593&p=75087&hilit=Shigetaka#p75087

Books put 6th gen Shigetaka as working circa 1744.

It is gimei.

Here is a good explanation of old papers from a knowledgeable member, Kunitaro-sama.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13981&p=121322&hilit=kicho+fake+papers#p121322

Are all kicho papers false? No.

Are many kicho papers false? Seems so, yes.

I'd be very wary of kicho, or green, papers. At least with regard to swords.

I have a signed, 6th gen. Echizen Shigetaka with kicho papers. It is dated 1663 on the nakago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8593&p=75087&hilit=Shigetaka#p75087

Books put 6th gen Shigetaka as working circa 1744.

It is gimei.

Hi Lee,

I wouldn't surpised if the old paper was issued by a branch NBTHK club. It was uncovered that during a investigation Yakuza groups were found to be involved with the issuing of fale papers to Nihonto in a few of the branch NBTHK clubs. I think they were also into creating fake papers for Nihonto as well. This was fairly easy as the old papers unlike the new papers lack any build in seruity features. At my website I have a tsuba with a Tokubetsu Kicho paper. It is real but I think that the tsuba would paper if resubmitted now at the Tokubetsu Hozon level to Katchushi or possibly Ko-Katchushi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..