Notice anything interesting???

cabowen

Here are examples of 4 swords all made at the Tokyo Dai Ichi Rikugun Zoheisho, a forge run by Yoshihara Kuniie on the grounds of the Army's arsenal in Tokyo. Kuniie is known to have signed his blades made there Nobutake as in the last example. These were made between Showa 17-19.

Notice anything interesting about these four examples, signed, from the top, Yukinori, Katsunobu, Naotake, and Nobutake?

post-1462-1419687769504_thumb.jpgpost-1462-14196877696673_thumb.jpgpost-1462-14196877699317_thumb.jpg

post-1462-14196877703542_thumb.jpg

Exactly!

I didn't include pictures of the hamon but they are all very similar as well. What I conclude from this is that Yoshihara Kuniie did the yaki-ire on these blades as well as the mei. One wonders how much more of his work is in them as well....Every one of these I have seen has a very large and dynamic hamon.

Here are a few picts of the hamon:

Yukinori

post-1462-14196877708907_thumb.jpg

Katsunobu

post-1462-14196877707714_thumb.jpg

Naotake

post-1462-14196877705911_thumb.jpg

Usually the smith who forges the blades does the yaki-ire and signs them as well. We know that Kuniie was an instructor at the Tokyo Zoheisho and that several student/smiths worked there under him but from the evidence it seems that he did most of the finishing work on all the blades. The yaki-ire on the blades I have seen has been similar, though much bolder, than that done typically by Kuniie; one of these blades (Katsunobu), found on a Japanese dealer's site where it says this about the blade:

この刀工銘を調べても該当する刀匠がいないません。 出来をみれば普通の軍刀レベル処か当時著名だった刀匠でも刃がたたない技量の刀匠でこれ程見事な出来の昭和刀は皆無ではないでしょうか。...軍刀を集めている方ではこれ以上の出来と言われのものは二度と手に入らないといっても過言ではないかもしれません。

"Researching this smith's mei I can not find a corresponding smith. Looking at the workmanship, it is far above the usual level of workmanship seen in gunto and even among the work of celebrated smiths of the period I don't think we can find workmanship of this level...For those who collect gunto, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that you won't find another sword of this quality."

In most of Kuniie's work outside the Zoheisho, his hamon is usually a bit more conservative than what is seen in these blades. It would seem he really let himself go here at the Zoheisho and tried to produce large, flamboyant hamon. Perhaps they were favored by the military personnel he worked for? All of the nakago are very well done as well and while these swords have gotten zero press I think quality-wise, they are as good as anything made at the Yasukuni or Minatogawa forges...

I have yet to find much info on who did what at this forge but since it was only in operation for a few years, I think it is a good bet that Kuniie himself did most of the important work with the other "smiths" assisting with the grunt work. That would make these blades basically daisaku by Kuniie.

Interesting Chris. I saw a Naotake go recently on ebay (did you get it?).

As some (all?) of the swords you post have the RJT inspection stamp, and as it was a RJT requirement that the "person who does the yakiire also cuts the mei'.... I think your feeling on the hamon and mei were all being done by Kuniie is probably correct.

While Kuniie cut the mei as per RJT requirement, it may follow that he cut the mei for the man who actually forged the sword?...I know that Naotake is little known, but his name was recorded as Shimura Sei (Sho?) of Tokyo....maybe, because of your observations here, he is now linked to Kuniie as a Zoheisho pupil?

Just thinkin'

Edit to add...I notice that a number of smiths are listed in Japanese references as Rikugun Jumei Toko rather than Rikugun Jumei Tosho...can this subtle difference indicate that Toko means they did RJ scheme work while the Tosho means they were RJ scheme smiths? Naotake has Toko next to his name, so maybe not a RJTosho but did RJToko.

Interesting Chris. I saw a Naotake go recently on ebay (did you get it?).

As some (all?) of the swords you post have the RJT inspection stamp, and as it was a RJT requirement that the "person who does the yakiire also cuts the mei'.... I think your feeling on the hamon and mei were all being done by Kuniie is probably correct.

While Kuniie cut the mei as per RJT requirement, it may follow that he cut the mei for the man who actually forged the sword?...I know that Naotake is little known, but his name was recorded as Shimura Sei (Sho?) of Tokyo....maybe, because of your observations here, he is now linked to Kuniie as a Zoheisho pupil?

Just thinkin'

Edit to add...I notice that a number of smiths are listed in Japanese references as Rikugun Jumei Toko rather than Rikugun Jumei Tosho...can this subtle difference indicate that Toko means they did RJ scheme work while the Tosho means they were RJ scheme smiths? Naotake has Toko next to his name, so maybe not a RJTosho but did RJToko.

Yes, I bought the Naotake....

Tosho and toko mean the same thing as far as I understand it (swordsmith)....

Where did you find Naotake's name recorded?

He was indeed a Kuniie student at the Zoheisho as Kuniie was the instructor and Naotake, according to this blade (as well as Morita san's reply) is evidence of that...

Chris san,

Thank you for pics of rare swords.

I saw the Katsunobu sword for the first time. Nice bright Jigane!!

To be sure, their name does not appear on Meikan.

As you know their name listed on [Name list of 1st Gunto Exhibition] in 1943.

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, these swords are all very well made....

Thanks for posting the information; as you know, I do have a copy (thanks to your generosity)-thanks again!

Hi Chris, good buy IMHO...omedito...

I found a very brief ref to him on p.637 of Shimizu's Toko Zenshu.

He is also given as "Shimura Naotake" on the JSI link to RJT from literature sources.

I "think" I have seen another Japanese reference mention of him but do you think I can remember where I saw it? (poor old atama...wakaunai desukara).

Maybe a nicely researched scholarly paper on these four mei and the link with Kuniie is in the offing...?

Regards,

Thanks George, I will know in a few days if it is as nice as I hope...

Thanks for the info. I have yet to check Shimizu as it is buried away.

Not planing any article on these at present as I have a different one at hand currently....Maybe down the road when I have some more examples....

By the way, to answer your PM- Kuniie used the mei Nobutaka when making swords at the Zoheisho and one, complete with a star, is posted earlier in this thread. Also, I will dig through my stuff here to send you a copy as you requested....

Thanks Chris...that scan/copy would be much appreciated.

Here is a scan of Shimizu page 637...just the barest reference, prob from the Meibo? (I see he is recorded as RJ tosho here...wonder where I got the toko reference from?).

I also noticed a ref to Naotake on your Kindai Index but not (then) specifically linked to Kuniie or Zoheisho.

Interesting stuff!

Regards,

post-787-14196877872375_thumb.jpeg

Doug-

Your blade is signed Ueno ju Tsugumasa and he is undoubtedly a student of Kasama Shigetsugu. This blade has no mention of the Tokyo Dai Ichi Rikugun Zoheisho which is the subject of this thread....

Would like to see some more photos of the blade....

I Apologize Chris. this is NOT the Sword I was thinking of when I posted this. I sold that one a few years back.

I should know better, then to post anything on the internet when I'm tired. :bang:

Here are a few photo's of the Tsugumasa as you asked.

Doug

post-2511-14196878037124_thumb.jpg

post-2511-14196878040151_thumb.jpg

post-2511-14196878041767_thumb.jpg

post-2511-14196878044853_thumb.jpg

Hello Stephen.

Here is the Mei. its a better photo then my first post.

Ueno ju Tsugumasa. I know very little about this smith. any information would

be Greatly appreciated. this is the sword listed in John Slough's Book Modern Japanese Swordsmiths.

Thank you

Doug

post-2511-14196878095884_thumb.jpg

Nicely done jigane, well cut mei, and a well finished nakago...As said, this smith was a student in the Kasama Shigetsugu group, probably training at the Tanren Denshujo.

While I translated the location as Ueno, which is in Tokyo and possible for this smith, Kosuke is another possibility and perhaps more likely as most smiths simply cut Tokyo regardless of where in Tokyo they live....

To get back to the Naotake, let me answer George who asked if there were any other stamps or marks on the nakago: no, just the number 412 at the end of the nakago....couldn't find any other stamps besides the numbers and the star anywhere on the nakago....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..