Liverpool Militaria

Billy Tagg was one of the last of the old style militaria dealers. The irony was through me (as I'm an IT guy) he was exposed to the internet before most people. I tried to get him on the internet back in the mid 90s by printing articles from email discussion boards, information he cannot believe was previously possible. Then I produce my first online Japanese sword purchase and brought it to his shop in 1996 were he first got the taste of what is available on the web. Everytime someone mention about the internet it is quite comical seeing him throw a fit :lol:

Even despite avoiding the internet as much as he would he still able to find stuff through good old fashion trading in fairs. I guess there is no substitute for that.

• 2 weeks later...

In case people hadnt seen it already here is an article with Billy from an interview a few years ago. It is no longer online but I manage to get a web cache snap shot of it

http://web.archive.org/web/20120614172956/http://www.liverpool.com/capital-of-culture/microguides-cheapside.html

BTW Billy was still wheel and dealing late last saturday at the pub well after he handed over the key of his shop :lol:

Here is to Billy :clap:

[

Shops worth dealing with in the UK are now none existant, maybe im wrong, but i doubt it. Only a few reputable dealers left., if any. Seems the only place to buy nihonto in the future will be online..

I am not ure that I agree with Alex. There are certainly fewer dealers with "shops" but they are still wel represented at Arms and Militaria fairs. In fact, surpriingly, I have bought items at te last 5 that I have attended in both London and Birmingham. Actually 2 of these were from Billy Tagg, who I knew very well.

Also, of course, the auction houses are also active. There are a number of old collections recently from collectors, most of who I also knew, who were collecting in the 1960's and 70's and have now passed on. These sales are quite depressing for us older collectors, especially as many of the pieces are sold at very competitive and buyable prices and some even with no reserve price. It seems, therefore, that I personally, am buying quite a lot ( 4 swords and several tsuba this year), none of which I have purchased online. I realise that "younger" collectors who are very familiar with the internet, may favour an online approach, but it is certainly not the only option available, even today.

I will try to give you advanced warning of my own demise and where my sword collection wil be available to buy.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Hi Clive, i could have worded that better, i agree. No names mentioned, but the only other walk in shop in the Uk that i know, i would not buy from, or would not recommend. Thats from personal experience and advice taken from others. "If" there any other shops then i would like to find out more about them. I know there are few reputable dealers who sell online, my comment was not aimed at them, neither the few folk who sell occasionally who we all know. Armsfair purchasing is not for me, the only guy i new of was Bill, and with the misses being a scouser it was just easier for me to nip in town. I suppose with your knowledge Clive, it makes buying at arms fairs that little bit safer :) .

Alex.

The advantage of dealing with a seller like Bill Tagg is that he will take swords/fittings etc. in trade and give you a fair price for them. You can trade in a couple of mumei wakizashi throw in a few hundred quid and upgrade to a better sword. You just can't do this with the vast majority of other dealers in the UK, and its really the best way for beginners to progress in the hobby.

Aex

For me, at least, attending Arms Fairs and even auctions, allows one to handle and study swords close up in hand, a facility unavailable online. Handling swords and close study like this is by far the best way of gaining an understanding of Japanese swords, which is why some of us go to Japan every year, to see and handle the best there is.

Of course, I am not saying that there is not a place for online study, but I consider it to be secondary to the physical handing of swords and that you should take every opportunity to do this. Arms Fairs and auction viewings allow you to do this free of charge, I am sure most experienced collectors will agree with this position.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Fully agree Clive, ive been to the smaller arms fairs, hoping to get to the Birmingham arms fair next year. Work gets in the way most on most occasions, including the northern token society meetings. Il have to look into the auction side of things up this end.

Alex.

The point made by Peter as to a willingness to trade and swop by Bill Tagg,is as far as I have found to date quite unique on the part of a dealer and does draw into collecting good people who would otherfwise be lost to collecting. This coupled with Bill's encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject is now very rare to find indeed.

Henry

• 4 months later...

Glad you're still alive and kicking bill,this man would drive to your house with a selection of swords,and is the font of knowledge on these items,the shop was a meeting place for many,it was a collectors dream,good luck bill,you deserve a break,i know you had a hard year,last year,all the best.Ian bellis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..