Shinsa! NTHK-NPO coming to Tampa In Feb., 2014!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello-

Just an update on the NTHK-NPO Shinsa....

We are about 2 months out now and spaces are filling at an increased rate of late. At this point there are still slots open but I would strongly encourage those with any day preferences to get their deposits in quickly as it is first come, first served.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting lots of calls from people regarding the shinsa who have been under the impression that it has already sold out. Not true! While reservations have been coming in at a fast pace here of late, there are still plenty of spots left. I would strongly encourage anyone thinking of submitting a blade or kodogu to contact me and secure your reservation asap because by the looks of things, it is likely to sell out at some point before the event.

Any questions can be sent to me at swords@ejapaneseswords.com or I can be reached by telephone at the number in the link below.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Members-

Just a quick note to remind everyone that the NTHK-NPO Shinsa in Tampa is quickly approaching. Anyone contemplating submitting either blades or kodogu is encouraged to contact me asap to reserve slots as they are filling fast.

There are a limited number of spots still available and we are still accepting mail in items. Contact me if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing many of you there!

Thank you....

Hi Chris -

Can you share any information on who the tosogu judge? I'm well aware of Miyano sensei but it would be interesting to learn more about the tosogu end of things. Meanwhile, looking forward to the Tampa weekend. Ron STL

Mr. Ohashi Hiroshi is the main fittings judge. He has been studying and collecting kodogu for 50 years or more. He is a long time member of several private, invitation only, kodogu clubs in Japan, as well as a long time member and director of the NTHK. He has run a small shop that specializes in kodogu for 20 years or so, since he retired from running his family business (chain of dry cleaners). He has written regularly about kodogu in the Token to Rekishi journal. From my conversations with him, and from translating some of his write ups on kodogu, I can say that he is an extremely erudite scholar with a real affinity for the artistic and poetic nuances common to kodogu.

• 2 weeks later...

Members:

I have completed the tentative shinsa schedule and will be mailing out reservation tickets, reservation day and times, as well as some final instructions for the shinsa, this week. I will also be mailing shipping instructions to those mailing in items, this week.

I have left some slots at the end of each day for any last minute submissions that may appear. Anyone still hoping to submit something best contact me asap as these few slots are filled first come, first served and there are only a handful still available. I expect this shinsa to sell out soon.

Thanks to all those who are participating- your support is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Members-

Just a quick note to get the word out that the Shinsa is sold out for Friday and Saturday with only a few spots still available late Sunday. I am also accepting a few items late Thursday in an effort to accommodate late comers.

Thanks to all who are supporting this event-much appreciated :bowdown: .

I look forward to seeing all of you in Tampa.... :beer:

A friend wanted me to ask this question - will or does the NTHK-NPO shinsa grade the subject of owarai (Shunga) when used for tosogu? or is it like the NBTHK and they will not judge the subject. The owner of such an item would like an opinion/shinsa judgment. Serious question.

Mike, I've seen a few things, mostly tsuba, by Otsuki Mitsuoki and wonder what example can be classed warai as I understand the term. Two jokesters making jest? Some warai can be quite ribald and even if transferable to a visual medium makes me curious. Maybe like "Asa?" "Kusa!!" in ukioiye. Please, would love to see an example by any artist. John

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..