Success!

Perhaps some might remember I'd been struggling with an acquaintance here in Denver...lots of nice blades but wouldn't give them up for anything (other than out of line prices). Well, I'm happy to announce that not only was I able to purchase a decentKatana from him (after a lot of arm-pulling) but just received it back in Shirasaya crafted by Mr. John Tirado. He also sold one other blade before we parted ways so perhaps he may be willing to let go of others. If anyone's interested I'll gladly give his info. to enquire via MP.

Pics will be posted under this one later this evening.....

Curtis R.

Greetings all -

As promised, my Nihonto is Shirasaya by Mr. Tirado AND the habaki by Mr. Tirado as well, made from .999 silver. I've yet to perfect shooting blades, etc. w/out flare-out from the flash but am playing with it. The pics do not do it justice!

The mei reads:

"岡田吉弘 : Yoshihiro Okado (made for)

師範: Teacher

武道 : Martial Arts

神刀流 : God Sword Flow"

&

"year Showa 13 so 1938....

Akihiro Saku (is made by Akihiro) "

The nagasa is only 26" approx., but is finely balanced. The smith was from Tokyo and has very nice hamon and nie.

Best Regards,

Curtis R/

post-2807-14196877018854_thumb.jpg

post-2807-1419687702293_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196877026892_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196877033298_thumb.jpg

post-2807-1419687703944_thumb.jpg

Curtis,

You have to ask yourself, how to avoid the reflection of the flash in your lens?

It is impossible. You have to be in the dark, no flash. Spotlights at a 30° at minimum with an unbrella to diffuse the light.

Ask Moses B. about his studio, he sent me a picture of it years ago. It needs a very large room with high ceiling. You could equally ask Tsuruta san to send you a picture of his studio :-)

Ask Moses B. about his studio, he sent me a picture of it years ago. It needs a very large room with high ceiling. You could equally ask Tsuruta san to send you a picture of his studio

Yes! And then post it here so we can all figure out how to take better sword photos!

Ken

Good morning Curtis,

神刀流 which you translate as "God Sword Flow", may read as "Shintō Ryu", which on first hearing seems to point to a number of Koryu (Traditional Japanese Martial Arts). However Kashima Shintō-ryū & Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū use different Kanji - 新当流 & 神道流 respectively.

Looking at the Nakago, it may read Shintō ryū Budō Shihan, which may refer to a Kembu 剣舞 (Sword Dance system) called Shintō ryū Budō, created in the 1890's by "Hibino Raifu" (sic)

http://shintoryu.jp/

http://www.freewebs.com/fujiyama1/shintoryu.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&si ... h&imgdii=_

Cheers

And thank you Malcolm!

I've found only one site in Japan which mentions "God Sword Flow" - the links will help immensely! I do find it pretty 'cool' that it was comissioned for or by a Sensei in the art....gives it more of a personal touch :) , I'd love to have the blade polished, but based on what I've read here it would probably out-value the sword. My plans are to preserve it as-is, unless I win the lotto. Should be any day now............ :D

Again, many thanks to all ~

Curtis R.

Good morning Curtis,

Delving a little deeper using David A Hall's excellent Encyclopaedia of Japanese Martial Arts:

Dr Hall quotes from the standard Japanese source Watatani & Yamada 1978 (pages 433 - 449) that of the 53 Koryu schools (Traditional styles) incorporating Shintō Ryu in their name, only 2 schools used the Kanji 神刀流.

He does not however list them.

Here's a few further links which may help:

Cheers

Thank you Malco - sadly I'm

Working on this fine Sunday evening, but am looking forward to viewing the links in the late night. Incidentally the link you posted to Shinto Ryu was the one I'd found.,.thinking of asking my Sensei to email them if I can find an email address lol - ill post more as I find it.

Thank you again!

Curtis R.

Dear Malcolm,

The first tameshigiri vid was AWESOME! I'm wondering if perhaps the Iaijutsu forms were incorporated into the dance forms (remind me very much of Kabuki) to keep the heat off during the reformation/modernization times? Maybe a combination of Shinto Ryu (koryu) with kabuki to "throw off attention"?

Regardless, I'd like to know more about the Sensei for whom the blade was made...still researching. I can speak for one thing...the blade is well forged although shorter at nagasa, and is a pleasure to hold. No nie at all, either that I can find. I plan to play with Jean's formula in the next week or so and hope to post some pics that do it justice. Still in awe of Mr. Tirado's Habaki - so subtle but powerful. I can see how one can easily catch the "multi-thousand $$ bug" :lol:

Cheers and wishing all a good week,

Curtis R.

Denver, CO

USA

Curtis,

IMO having this piece polished may still be viable. If you paid around 2k (just a guess) initially, added in shirasaya and habaki for another $700 or so and then throw in a polish @ $2200-$2600.. You're still only sitting @ 5k-$5300ish all in. This sword could definitely fetch $5500 in pristine condition. It's unique because of its inscription. Akihiro was an honest smith and a RJT. If I were you, I would fork out the cash and have it polished. You could, in theory, get your money back eventually and also get to enjoy the blade while in your collection in mint condition. Just food for thought..

..If this was my blade.. I would probably just keep it all for myself and not sell haha.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..