need some opinions on what i should buy...

rusted180

Hey fellas,

Thanks again to all you replied to my post about comparing guntos to traditional made swords! I am starting a new thread about asking you guys your opinions on what I should purchase! I mainly collect ww2 German and Japanese medals, firearms, and field gear. I do not know much about swords as I am still learning a lot from this site! Just out of curiosity, I want to know what you guys think I should get between these two swords. I currently have a type 95 nco sword and originally I planned on getting a type 98 sword, but the seller whom I trust offered me a type 98 sword that is a bit rough but has a 500 year old family blade! The other item is just a an average type 98 machine made sword. I am very very tempted to purchase the old blade, but I am very scared about the costs to restore it! It would have to be a long term restoration work since the blade is in rough condition and much of the pieces of the handle is missing.

again, I just wanted some opinions about what you guys think! I know in the end its up to me but I thought it would be fun to discuss what you guys would get! I am more into Japanese militaria and a beginner in collecting true swords so I am also inclined to choose the machine made piece...... argh! I love them both! I wish I had enough money for both! The seller is offering the type 98 sword 2nd to the very top for $900 and the family blade for $1200.

thanks for viewing!

please note that the all the detail pics are of the family blade. I do not have any pics of the machine made blade yet. the family blade is the 4th one down from the first pic of swords. it has no handle wrap.

-Andrew

TAMA.jpg

tamat.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9449.jpg

Amen! If you are still at the stage where you're asking people what you should buy, Andrew, you're really at the stage where you should be doing your own learning & research on just what is out there. You may have an idea on what general area(s) you're looking to concentrate on - a good thing! - but until you really understand how to evaluate a candidate blade, you shouldn't be buying anything except learning materials. Take our advice that you will spend less money for a better blade, or collection, once you've done the hard part in your head.

Then it really will be a fun process.

Ken

hey thanks for all the help fellas! I appreciate the concerns and advice. I will take these words of wisdom into consideration! Im actually ordering SWORDS OF IMPERIAL Japan by JIm dawson for some extra info on ww2 swords and a copy of The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords! and of course i will be researching a lot here!

again, thanks for the leads guys! It only makes sense to do research and learn before I spend thousands on a nihonto! As for shin gunto's... I know what I want and in the process of making a deal with someone here that seems to know much about them.... but Im in no hurry....

-andrew

Quick newbie question for Mr. Bowen:

For future reference, how are you able to tell the signature is fake? I've read the gimei thread once or twice but the techniques to spot gimei in there seem to focus on comparing documented signatures with the suspected fake signature. (My guess in this case is that you can tell it's fake is because it looks a little sloppy in places, looks about to run off the edge towards the end, and is filled with red rust.)

There are many things you need to check. If the mei seems at first glance to be close (this one isn't), then check the workmanship of the blade to see if it is up to the level of the smith; then look to see if the blade is done in the correct style for the smith. If that all checks out, then focus more intently on the signature. Use as many genuine example as possible to check the stroke placement, strength, rhythm, etc. It is really indispensable to learn something about how Japanese is written.

In the end, it often comes down to a "feeling". I know many native Japanese speakers that simply look at the mei and can tell most of the time if it is fake. Having looked at many, I can usually spot the obvious fakes, like this one, but when they are close, I have a ways to go before I can do it without a net all the time.

Buy some worthy books and handle as many "quality" swords as possible and absorb what you see. Once you learn what a quality made sword (the steel, the shape, etc.) should offer, look for that first before looking at the nakago. To this day, I never remove a tsuka until I've formed an opinion after looking over the "blade" itself. If unimpressed, likely the sword will prove to be not particularly noteworthy of your time. As for the mei on the sword discussed here, at first glance I thought to myself, hmmm...that mei looks a bit funky. This is what Chris pointed out. You need to familiarize yourself with what these things "should" look like. Of course this is what hooks one into become a life long collector, always looking for the next "good sword" to purchase! But it's fun!

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..