Ebay seller Showa22

Not good,

For a start he is suspected of pushing up the bids himself to reach his expected sell price , ie shilling.

Brought a Handachi mounted katana off him, (very nice copper fittings ) which turned up in good time. HOWEVER the whole thing had obviously been put together, tsuba filed to fit and the tsuka wobbled around like a fish out of water. Then the fun started as his return policy was actioned. Sent it back and claimed a refund which he stalled on , aclaiming he was out of country ,then that he never recieved the katana. Got on to the courier company who confirmed delivery including who and time . Surprize ,surprize he had no listing during this time . Finally got my money !!!

Another e-bay shark, have come across other people with similar problems with this dealer.

Would not deal with him.

Chris

Rob,

I have not had any personal dealing with showa22, but what Chris said jives with what I had read on this forum. Use the "Search" button on top of this web page (next to "PRIVATE MESSAGE" and "FAQ") and put in showa22. You can get a better idea of what has been said in the past.

Regards,

Hoanh

Hi All,

I've had no problem in my dealings with Maruyama san over the years in both selling and buying. He has over 2400 feedbacks on eBay with no negative ones, so he must be doing something right. In this business, it is nearly impossible to satisfy everyone, so he no doubt had his share of unhappy customers. I'd say he has a superior batting average (despite a few strike outs), far better than many sellers on eBay.

Kaji

I have both purchased from and sold items to Maruyama san over a number of years (since around 1978), and I have had only good experiences with him in those dealings. At one time in the recent past, he told me he had a small shop in Japan where he sells various collectable items, and he travels back and forth to Japan quite frequently. Whether that is still the case is unclear. However, if it is the case, I suspect his frequent travels back and forth to Japan, and his access and connections with sellers and dealers both in Japan and the U.S., afford him an opportunity to acquire the numerous items that he sells on Ebay. In my past dealings with him, I have always found him very forthcoming and accurate in his description of his items, and reasonable in his asking price for items he sells. I would not be hesitant or concerned about purchasing items from him myself. He usually attends the S.F. Token Kai one day each year, and this would be a good opportunity for other collectors who have not met him before to meet him, to introduce yourself, discuss Nihonto, and to get to know him first hand. Hope to see everyone at this year's S.F. Token Kai.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

I bought a blade from him once and the condition was misrepresented as confirmed by more knowledgeable people on this forum. He also has a reputation for doctoring up the items he sells and using acid to enhance his blades. There's an old thread on this board somewhere. Be wary.

I have been away from this forum for some time and have just logged on again

I have bought several blades from this seller some years ago and have always been satisfied, most have been verified by more experienced guys than myself

TH

I guess we just see sellers who were once good, going to the dogs now.

Most (mind you, I do not say "all") swords on eBay are of low quality - they have serious flaws, are tired, or just nondescript. eBay was never a place for high quality nihonto, but now there is mostly junk.

Also, some sellers, who have been quite OK in the past, are now selling swords with fatal flaws in the hope to trick newbies. I have bought a tanto recently - mind you, nothing fancy or expensive, but it has turned out to have no hamon in the monouchi (I could not see it, as there was only hadori polish visible in the polish and I have not suspected the seller, with whom I had excellent experience in the past) The seller had to accept a return for a full refund (PayPal sucks, but not when you are a buyer).

The seller knew exactly that he was selling a sword with a fatal flaw.

As so many other members of this Board, I can't help but recommend to stay away from eBay, unless you like to buy trash (please do not attempt to convince me otherwise - this has been discussed here many times, just look it up before you answer).

But we are discussing showa22 here. He is representative of the trend, although the last thing I would like to do is slander him for doing something he has not done. I had a good experience with him, but that was years ago.

• Like 1

I have purchased from Yuzo (Showa22) 3-4 times spanning several years, the last about a year ago. The swords I kept were great. The one I returned was done without any difficulty. I did caution him on injudicious uses of terms like mint and excellent. His descriptions are starting points and he typically provides many detailed pictures. So review and ask questions. My experience is he’s very forthcoming with responses.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This guy is a total jerk and a very shady seller at that. The only thing he has over most ebay sellers is a return policy but expect to be banned from his auctions if you every use it. This guy sold me a blade with "no forging flaws" in the item description and when it showed up there were 3 kitae-ware one almost 3/4 of an inch long. Since it is a gendaito and I got it for quite a low price they do not bother me but when I complained the item description was not accurate but did not want to return the sword this guy called me up and threatened me, in broken english, to try and force me to return the sword. When I wouldn't return sword he banned me from his auctions despite already having left him good feedback, which I would now like to revise since what I said in feedback was the total opposite of what ended up happening. Blade showed all Showa22's usual tricks as the shirasaya that my blade came in did not fit properly, and there is evidence of acid etching but the price was still right even with problems.

Showa22 obviously does amateur work on what he sells and it seems very few if any are unmolested blades. Check out this post were he sold a fake/doctored up yasukuni shirne katana worth maybe 1k-2k blade to some poor guy for 6.5K which is now never gonna be resold at that price. BEWARE!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18438

-Jay G

I have followed many of his auctions and there is no doubt that many of his items are clearly put togethers, doctored, or otherwise messed with-most in a very amateur fashion. I have noticed some odd bidding as well which leads me to suspect shill bidding is a part of some of his auctions. I have also read several first hand accounts from people that were banned from his auctions for (seemingly) rather petty reasons. All of this should put one on high alert when it comes to his auctions.

As I have said- ebay is shark infested. Enter at your own risk and be prepared to deal with all sorts of slime.

There are some exceptions of course when objects are ebay posted by one of our reputable members :D .

I wouldn't say there aren't reputable sellers but with the feedback system not always the most accurate, unless you know the seller from somewhere, it can be difficult to differentiate. It might be helpful if people posted their NMB name in their Ebay auction listing so people knew who they were dealing with...

Truth be told, the sharks not only survive, but thrive, because of all the meat in the water. If more people stayed out of the water, they would starve. Ebay, in general, plays to the treasure hunter/bargain hunter personality. It is a great place to buy commodity like items- I have saved a ton buying construction items for my house- but collectibles are another story. Even if you are cautious and an expert, odds are you will get burned at some point. If you like to gamble and accept that you will lose from time to time, have at it.

I have purchased from Yuzo (Showa22) 3-4 times spanning several years, the last about a year ago. The swords I kept were great. The one I returned was done without any difficulty. I did caution him on injudicious uses of terms like mint and excellent. His descriptions are starting points and he typically provides many detailed pictures. So review and ask questions. My experience is he’s very forthcoming with responses.

I'm glad you cautioned him on injudicious uses of terms. I did the same and was instantly blocked from bidding on anything he sells. Fine with me I wouldn't buy from him anymore anyway.

There are some exceptions of course when objects are ebay posted by one of our reputable members :D .

I wouldn't say there aren't reputable sellers but with the feedback system not always the most accurate, unless you know the seller from somewhere, it can be difficult to differentiate. It might be helpful if people posted their NMB name in their Ebay auction listing so people knew who they were dealing with...

Truth be told, the sharks not only survive, but thrive, because of all the meat in the water. If more people stayed out of the water, they would starve. Ebay, in general, plays to the treasure hunter/bargain hunter personality. It is a great place to buy commodity like items- I have saved a ton buying construction items for my house- but collectibles are another story. Even if you are cautious and an expert, odds are you will get burned at some point. If you like to gamble and accept that you will lose from time to time, have at it.

Good place for certain types of items like rare parts for firearms. I have also gotten decent fuchi/kashira but I am very reticent to buy anything of high dollarvalue that has anything to do with Nihonto or Tsuba.As far as getting burned I doubt if there is a serious Nihonto collector or dealer that hasn't gotten burned many times and not by E-Bay. Like any other form of collecting it is about your knowledge your reseach abilities and your luck but sooner or later you slip up.

JDromm

• Like 2

I have had 20 swords get papers in the last two NTHK-NPO shinsas that Chris ran, all, or nearly all, had been bought on ebay, with several "big" names among them. In my view, Showa and Komonjo seem to sell a lot of blades that are obviously gimei. I suspect that many of them come off the bottom of the auctions in Japan, and thus are ending up being dumped on the US market. As they say, "caveat emptor", so I only raise this as an opinion.

• Like 1

I have actually bid on quite a few of his items recently and was outbid at very strange times and prices. I didn't think much of it till seeing this thread. I never stay high bidder for long on his blades. Even really poor condition ones that I didn't think other people would want.

I have had a close escape from eBay.

I was bidding on the yasukuni_to way way before it hit the $6500 jackpot, and I sent message regarding post to the u.k, as for once it allowed me to bid.

I got blocked by said seller,and even then tried to pm him on here, to ask would he deal privately as he was a board member.

Luckily he didn't reply,for once being a UK collector saved me from a bite i wouldn't have come back from.

I hate mithering on the nmb,but please if you are spending this amount, even if you think you have found a gem no one else has got onto,PM a member you trust, for an opinion.

If you have good pictures,by the e bay seller,as their educated eyes are likely to spot what you have not.

Fine members here have saved me more than once, but even the best can't spot hagire,

That said I have seen some nice swords plucked from eBay, it's a pain in the a,,, when the word ww2 stops you bidding.

Regards and thanks.Ian bellis

I have bourght a tanto from showa22 ,that looked good in photos ,but was a put together. Restored badly. Didnt return it ,but sold it here in DK. Told buyer the issues. He liked it anyway.

About that ebay is a shark infestet area ,thats true .

But 2 years ago I bourght a shinsakuto in perfect condition for 89 usd , made buy Mukansa smith Ogawa Kanekuni(father).So its not impossible to survive :D

• Like 2

Yes Andy did get burned but I have also seen Tsuba that he bought on E-Bay that were sold by less then knowledgeable sellers and he made money on them.

Some of them have been bought from him by less knowledgeable buyers.. Caveat emptor... :lipssealed:

Sorry, that is OT 8)

• 1 month later...

Ebay is a great tool if you learn how to use it properly and you exercise some common sense.

I bought a very cheap 1935 military katana from showa22. Even though I asked extensive questions he still outright lied about the condition of the blade. When I questioned him after the items arrival he offered a partial cash back refund. I wanted a full refund and he admitted he was wrong but I didnt care that much and decided to keep the sword.

He will obviously say anything to complete a sale and that should be kept in mind. I'd also like to add that he uses other accounts to increase his auction prices. That is just based on my own observation.

T. Spencer

Hi Everyone,

I have a long 28" nagasa Showato in iaido or civilian mounts that I use in my Batto training purchased from him that I really like. He purchased an antique tsuba in the past so the transactions has went both ways. I am very happy with the two transaction I have had with him. I would consider him a good eBay buyer and seller based upon only my personal experience.

• 5 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..