Pic Request - battle damage on blades

Drago

Here's one I sold on ebay last year.   I had had it in the closet for over 20 years. Not sure if that is the type of damage you were looking for.  This one clearly took a bullet, and I always imagined that it may have save the life of its owner at the time.

DSC_0251.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Bazza said:

I've seen a case where one child had the blade and the other the nicely lacquered saya and they had been 'going at it'.  Pretty sad to see.

BaZZa.

With the sword that has this damage you would have had a nasty accident as the fittings are not secured to the tang so anyone taking a swing would have launched the blade off in an impressive arc......☄️

"Lots of swords promptly went back to war in backyard operations", John, Australia.

Five boys in our family, has made me think how we would have misused any sword brought back such as cutting down blackberries (growing to pest proportions locally), firewood, 'each other' God forbid, and so on. Sad to admit it but luckily for the sword population we didn't score a sword. A few other things but no sword. 

Roger j

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 5:23 AM, Tensho said:

Sword that was listed on the bay a while back. Bent the blade pretty good. 20220326_002048.thumb.jpg.b69df5f6c2ceaea88c76600d4d22ca77.jpg20220326_002027.thumb.jpg.81851fd3f9810b335e141cd52650b378.jpg20220326_002006.thumb.jpg.47cd443ba948b5c1acfe923d1b7f95cb.jpg

Personal opinion, this is one of those dreadful "dealers specials" where a part is replaced for one reason or another. The blade, saya and tsuba are classic Shin-Gunto, and the tsuka is a random piece from the bit box! That is why there is no habaki, either lost during the strip down or earlier, or left off so that the mekugi-ana align. There is a remote possibility that that this was a field repair, but no IJA officer would ignore the habaki, and a new mekugi-ana would have been just drilled through, as we are familiar with on older swords that have been refitted in their working life.

7 hours ago, Dave R said:

Personal opinion, this is one of those dreadful "dealers specials" where a part is replaced for one reason or another. The blade, saya and tsuba are classic Shin-Gunto, and the tsuka is a random piece from the bit box! That is why there is no habaki, either lost during the strip down or earlier, or left off so that the mekugi-ana align. There is a remote possibility that that this was a field repair, but no IJA officer would ignore the habaki, and a new mekugi-ana would have been just drilled through, as we are familiar with on older swords that have been refitted in their working life.

A piece together was my thought as well. I was in contact with the seller on it. She knew nothing about it and had a friend disassemble it for her(it was stuck in the saya when she bought it)No previous auctions of any swords. I'm assuming he did the damage to the release button. I asked about the Habaki and she never knew if it was there to begin with.

The second mekugi ana drilled through the menuki threw me off as well as the replaced kashira. I did not bid on it.

20220327_104414.thumb.jpg.6a89d75984d05c35fa5221dfb9c88d3b.jpg20220327_104350.thumb.jpg.a918d2c5e7f7bae8e83a97ae9b4fd4ba.jpg20220327_104335.thumb.jpg.13e5157928ddd16a39a439426193c2f9.jpg

Many moons ago some kid in San Francisco shot a gun off in the garage. The bullet hit the saya in the exact middle. Can't remember the name on the blade, but every dealer back then was approached by said owner. In the entire garage filled with "stuff" and that one bullet chose the blade. That's some king of Karma. 

• Wow 1

• 1 month later...

This is on an old wakizashi. Don’t think it was backyard play that caused this.

In the first picture, just under the slice into the kissaki, there is some kind of shaving action happening on the iori that starts suddenly and then drags down, almost like a parry, (sorry, don’t know the Japanese term for it), and the angle is also just right for a defensive move. 

38643E69-4B64-479E-9009-1A9FA1244BD8.jpeg

F9D379E9-E16D-4DDD-A9C2-423831747506.jpeg

2AD84DFF-7F3A-4C79-9436-FF6A7B5B0E73.jpeg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..