Inherited Sword

wgt63

post-4641-14196871877966_thumb.jpgI have inherited this sword from my dad when he passed some time ago. Here is what I've been able to determine and am now stuck. I do not think that the blade is original to the mountings, just not sure. The mountings are a bit loose, I'd say by 1/16 inch, maybe be missing a pair of washers (seppe?). The handle (well fuchi?) 6 washers and tsuba all have the # 3 stamped in them, so matched. I guessing a Type 98 WW2 mounting in medium grade. Looks to have been silver plated and painted black at one time.

The blade is signed, tachi-mei style, from what I can translate using online sources is "Musashi Kuni Yoshiaki Saku" that is believe means "Made by Yoshiaki of Musashi". Oh, the blade is 24 1/2" inches long.

That is as far as I can get online. Any help with aging the blade and identifying the swordsmith would be great!! Value of course if possible.

I'll try to answer any questions the best that I can, I know from research that there are a lot of things to look at when evaluating a blade. The mounts I think I got right, but of course would appreciate feedback.

Thanks again,

William

post-4641-14196871889522_thumb.jpg

Ken, John. Thanks for the comments. Research is the only way to learn anything. I hate the post that shows something and ask what is it worth, just plain laziness. I eventually would like to find an officer's knot for the military mounts and possibly restore work as well, some dings and scratches on the scabbard, but that is a future goal. Just wanting help with research on the blade and how old it is. I'm at the point where this kind of info seems to be buried with the experts and much harder to locate. My next step it seems is to figure out blade type (I think it is Shinogi Zukuri), temper line type, blade curvature's low point, tang type and a few other points to help with aging and verifying swordsmith origins.

Thanks John. From what I can tell, or came up with is the following;

Chu Kissaki

Koshi Sori

Gyo no mune (takashi)

Boshi Midare Komi

Hamon Midare

Yakibe Muneyaki

Somewhere on a note, dad had 1864? written down, though don't know where that date came from.

Hi William,

Nice to see you have done your own research first.

I agree with the comments that this looks like a showa period blade...going on the nakago patination, the fresh kesho yasuri still showing at the top of nakago and the crisp mei cutting it looks about WWII.

A quick glance through my sources can't find a Yoshiaki though...I will try to dig a bit deeper. Chris' comment that he may be of the Kurihara School may be right as there was a Akiyoshi/Yoshikane so they are not always beginning in "Aki" ...maybe a student of a student. I must say though, it is not uncommon to have an unrecorded smith...even in these recent times...I have 8 gendaito and 2 are unknown makers...I hate it, but what can we do except keep researching...one clue for you is that he signed along the shinogiji-hiraji ridge line...this is not common.

Anyway...here are a couple of comments:

You are correct about the 2 missing seppa...the pair that go against the large "star" seppa are missing. Look up pics of seppa sets and you will see these have the nice carved "kikuza" (chrysanthemum petal edges)...you can find them on ebay...seppa sets came in 4, 6, 8 ...yours should be 8. BTW...the mekugi (peg) hole in your tsuka looks to be in an unusual place.

The silver plating is rare...I had a sword with this, but the saya was a deep maroon colour and the ito (binding) on the tsuka was a deep green...blade by Ishido Teruhide. I have seen others.

About restoring...unless your dad has re-painted the saya I would leave it as is...leave the dents etc, these are battlefield injuries and part of the history (unless they are causing damage to the blade of course).

Lastly, how about a couple of pics of the blade OA and in closeup? Maybe we can help further.

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..