Help with translation on tanto blade

t1mpani

Hi there,

I am so lacking in knowledge that I don't even know which way is up (I know it should be vertical), but was hoping someone could tell me what this says. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have it in a couple of different lights, in case that helps.

th_IMG_3933.jpg

th_IMG_3931.jpg

W. Higgins

Ahah!

Well, the supposition over on bladeforums was that this tanto was actually made by taking the point off of an Edo-period wakizashi during the second world war, so if there's any truth to that then perhaps the particular worker involved new something of sword-making history and decided to entertain himself. Many thanks!

W. Higgins

Hi t1mpani

When Chris says fake signature, he means gimei, not a fake blade.

The Japanese have added fake signatures(gimei) to swords for centuries: sometimes to deceive, sometimes as a dedication, sometimes because it was Wednesday...

Higashiyama ju Yoshihira was a high level smith that worked at the end of the 1500's, early 1600's.

Clearly your blade is not from that period so it is safe to say that Yoshihira did not make your blade, hence the gimei call.

As I said in the BF thread, this is likely a WW2 piece, probably shortened (please note I didn't say 'actually') from a longer sword that had been damaged or had a flaw.

With the chippy mei style which is common in WW2 mei, and that it is signed on the blade itself, I'd say this is just a 'nod of the hat' to the older smith as opposed to a signature intended to deceive.

Hello Lee,

Oh I don't doubt you are right; I didn't mean for "supposition" to sound like I was dubious. I very much appreciate all of the information you have helped me get on this blade, and am passing all of it along to its owner. Thanks also for directing me here--I love treasure troves of knowledge!

Warren

I'm sorry--having determined "what it is" on another forum, I didn't want to waste your time with anything that didn't pertain to the next question of "what is says". However, having asked ye shall receive. :) If I still had it (have returned it to its owner) I would take a picture of the other side of the blade, which has a fuller (called Hi I believe).

th_IMG_3932.jpg th_IMG_3934.jpg th_IMG_3935.jpg th_IMG_3936.jpg th_IMG_3923.jpg

Warren

I don't think this is a shortened anything. It fits the bill for the souvenir type daggers that were sold wartime period onwards that all had some type of homage to famous smiths on the blade. The nakago fits that description too. Not sure if they were also done Meiji period too.

Chris? seemed to know more about these. Were they sold at/by shrines? There have been other threads on them. All are similar, with the short nakago and large ana, and mei on the blade.

Yours looks to have a real hamon, but the shape takes it out of the "shortened katana" realm imho.

Brian

Ah, so possibly not what we thought then. The hamon is indeed real, as the edge is extremely hard while the blade body is notably softer. The owner is not a serious collector of anything, just merely bought this because it interested him and asked me to find out about it. So, at $175 was he duped? He isn't hoping for a big return on it (probably will keep it regardless) but was the price he paid totally out of line?

Thanks again for all of the expertise.

Warren

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..