Please help me identify this tsuba...

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Well in my opinion I would date this tsuba to the late Edo Period circa early to mid 19th century. They were trying to capture the style that was polular during the Sengoku-jidai of the late 16th and early 17th centuries. The heavily hammer surface and turned up rim was very popular during this time period. The workmenship and style of the design is consistent with the Aizu Shoami school along with the Mito school they were both prolific and the styles and techniques overlapped greatly. Somestimes I can only tell the difference if the tsuba is signed with a signature.

Early to mid Edo I agree with, however it looks more Mino to me (rather than Mito).

Hi Justin,

While the design would be common to the Mito school the workmenship is clearly Aizu Shoami or possibly Mino School. I should have stated in my original post. Age wise I would still consider this likely made in the late Edo Period.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

A Mantis tsuba, of course I need to chime in! I have a personal interest in this topic but lacking access to hands on material it is hard to come up with answers. Discerning these schools: Mito, Aizu Shoami, Shoami (yep we may hate it, but just Shoami) and I will add Nara (since many mito are copies of Nara) can be difficult. I find the relationship between Mito and Aizu Shoami interesting. Geographically they are next to each other and it may be feasible that tsuba makers went back and forth. As in all the readings say, the answers lies in the plate. From my readings and many examples can be found in the Haynes catalogs, there are tsuba that Mr. Haynes labeled "Revival School" done in the late 1800's that worked the plate and mimi with lots of hammer work, as well as, used the iron on iron inlays and /or Onin school type cutouts. It can be hard to tell sometimes, the makers do some good work, they certainly don't look like factory plates, but what gives it away for lack of a better way to describe is that the plate is overworked, too much is done. You can also find this in Late Heianjo pieces, the plate gives it away- giving it a glossy over worked feel to it. Back to Mito vs. Aizu, I think it might also require comparing them in person with other Mito pieces, perhaps one day I can develop my eye enough to tell. I don't see Mino at all. Here is a pic of some similar/ relevent tsubas - top is Mito, left side is papered shoami, right I am not sure - Mito or Shoami (Hard to tell from pic but I like plate better). Bottom left is Aizu shoami and bottom right is a "Revival School". I can find elements or relevance with Alexander's Tsuba in almost every one. (Sorry if posted pic doesn't show up well)

mitoaizushoamitsubasA_zps4fe2f010.jpg

Anyone is more than welcome to send me mantis tsuba for ongoing research :D After all, it takes work to become the Mantis Dude.

Hi Ken W.,

Thanks for the wonderful write up and checking out Haynes auction catalogues would be a good idea to identifity the tsuba in question and determine if it is Mito school or Aizu Shoami school work. As you stated which I was correct first and mixed up later. The overall design and composition is something I have seen in Mino kinko work but the workmenship is either Mito or Aizu Shoami.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..