Oddball tsuba

Marius

Here is a tsuba that I have bought recently from Rich Turner. It is an oddball tsuba, and while I could imagine attributing it to ko-kinko (Muromachi), it has some characteristics that make it interesting, if very irregular.

The excellent photographs have been made by Richard George, who is THE MAN in kodogu photography - http://www.rkgphotos.com. I hope Richad does not mind posting them here.

The tsuba is made up of a centre core, and outer ring and a fukurin. The centre core and fukurin are both raw Yamaganae. The outer ring iron. It has a Yasurime patter and the inner core and outer ring are joined by a method that resembles a dovetail effect.

The dimensions are 65mm x 66mm x 2mm thick and the fukurin is 3mm thick.

What do you think of this tsuba? Has anyone seen such an oddity before?

post-309-14196870522744_thumb.jpg

post-309-14196870525544_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the tsuba where Hirata draw inspiration from :D

Funny you should say that, Lorenzo :-) I was just discussing this with a friend.

Of course in this case you are probably referring to the fukurin, which is not the classic Odawara fukurin, but close. But, as a matter of fact, Hirata Hikozo must have gotten a lot of inspiration from ko-kinko tsubako (this includes those orthodox categories like tachi kanagushi, kagamishi, etc). If we take his Okina-yasuri - they have been a motif on many a "kagamishi" tsuba (there are several in Sasano's booklet on kagamishi).

Mariusz,

Cool tsuba. I have seen numerous 'like' tsuba, usually with a soft metal plate, but never one with this assemblage of differing materials. As it is so unusual and not representative of the body of period works, it can be assumed to be a 'one-off' example. I would postulate that it was once an iron tsuba sukashi tsuba which sustained damage to the nakago region, so some enterprising tsubako removed the center and replaced it with a form-fit yamagane plug, dove-tailed to strengthen the connection with the outer ring. The rim is typical of the style seen in the Azuchi Momoyama - early Edo called an Odawara Fukurin. I think one would have to question its structural integrity through extended use, but who really cares... its a cool tsuba and appealing to my eye. Nice find. No point trying to label it, or crowbar it into some artificial category. Thats my 2 Yen.

Best Regards,

Boris.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I do like this tsuba and no, I am not trying to put it into any category. Those categories (ko-kinko, tachi-kanagushi, kagamishi) are constructs, as discussed a few times here on this forum.

I am glad that there are people who like simple, old, utilitarian tsuba, made for the common samurai.

Here is another one. One of my favourites, this one comes from Rich Turner as well (Rich has great taste, I have to say). Pics have been taken by your humble servant. Enjoy :)

post-309-14196870530124_thumb.jpg

post-309-14196870532881_thumb.jpg

So, if a yamagane tsuba like this was for the lower class warrior, out of curiosity, who would own a shakudo tsuba of the same era, would that be for an high rank?

On reflection, bit of a silly question, seem to have developed an interest in materials and rank lately :D , ps sorry for going off topic

Alex.

Alex,

it is prety obvious that more expensive materials were used to make tsuba for higher ranking samurai. You might want to know that brass was also an expensive material in early/mid Muromachi (and in earlier times of course).

I haven't seen many shakudo tsuba from the early and mid Muromachi period, to be honest. Most soft metal are yamagane, bronze and brass.

The colour of shakudo could be produced by applying a coat of black lacquer. This was particularly nice looking when applied to nigurome (base alloy for shakudo). Mr. Haynes mentions this fact in his Gai So Shi.

Of course black lacquer was applied also to yamagane tsuba. Attached is an example of yamagane (or bronze) tsuba with a particularly well preserved, thick coat of kuro urushi. Boris will certainly remember this little tsuba ;-) BTW, it was this humble object, that got me hooked on old soft metal tsuba.

post-309-14196870541756_thumb.jpg

Hi Mariusz, the shakudo tsuba i have seen are of the late muromachi, so i see your point. The urushi on the tsuba above is in remarkably good condition. As you know i do find these early simple tsuba with remnance of laquer interesting, adds to the history value, i suppose. Cheers again for the pic, i can see why you got hooked :)

Alex.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..