Kinko Tanto Tsuba

Justin

I was just thinking that you don't see a lot of kinko tsuba for tanto. Does anyone have any nice examples they can post? I spotted a great tanto tsuba in one of the KTK books and will post a pic later.

Very nice guys. Here is the example from the KTK catalogue that I mentioned above. Sorry about the poor photo. This tsuba belongs to fellow Australian collector, Mr Andrew Amble. I haven't seen it in the hand yet, but I look forward to one day.

post-81-14196869012585_thumb.jpg

Question:

Most tanto existing tsuba are hamidashi. Now what is the size of a classical tanto tsuba taking into consideration that a katana size tsuba begins at 3 inches.

BTW, I have seen a lot of katana with tsuba under 3 inches

BTW, I have seen a lot of katana with tsuba under 3 inches

A friend of mine has a Shingunto with a tanto size hamidashi tsuba. If he sees this he will know what I mean and may comment further.

BaZZa.

Hi everybody,

this tantō tsuba arrived just yesterday. Made of brass (shinchū - 真鍮), 55 x 46 mm, decorated with hare and waves (nami ni usagi zu - 波に兎図). Probably late Edo and possibly Nara style (criticism on attribution are welcomed).

Bye, Mauro

post-3440-14196869096441_thumb.jpg

Hello Mauro,

there is the exsact same tsuba in the book "Tsuba in Southern Californian Collections"

I think is the book and the one in the book is signed, so will tell you who it is. My copy

of the book went missing quite a few years ago. I have the exsact tsuba as you somewere.

Barry's is the same theme but not the same tsuba. I will post a Photo when I find the tsuba

Alan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..