sad Wakizashi from local classfied, age and translation?

gun addict

Greetings

I was cruising the local ad today and found a Wakizashi for $150 and i figuered what the hey and handed over the money. As you can see the blade is in rough shape throughout but the saving graces are that there's no delamination and the mountings are still very fair. Im thinking the signature is a faked signature due to how lightly it was chiseled into the Nakago but as an novice Im still learning, thanks

Tim

wak5_zpscb165aa2.jpg

wak4_zps9804cfee.jpg

zukuriwak_zps757351d2.jpg

631e5412-500b-4aad-a259-71cd03517d3c_zps858782e7.jpg?t=1367620504

post-3545-14196866017907_thumb.jpg

post-3545-14196866025132_thumb.jpg

Signatures were removed for various reasons: gimei, to deceive, to hide the true maker, personal preference?, etc. As to whether or not I can read the mei- I cannot. Maybe someone else has an idea of what it might read?

Tim,

the blade seems in very good shape, it is just out of polish. I see no rust, nothing.

For that price? Well done! A very good candidate for a professional polish if you have the money and are willing to spend it.

Since I do not know what your level of knowledge is, I had better assume that you are new to nihonto. Hence, I have to say a few words of warning:

do not try to make shortcuts and give the sword to an amateur polisher. Saving on polishing means destroying the blade. The members of this forum will be able to recommend a professional polisher.

Since your pic of the nakago is not ideal, it is hard to say anything about age. Judging by the crispness of those overlapping mekugi ana, I'd say shinshinto.

Mariuszk, you are absolutely right, Ive only been in this hobby for less than a year now and have much to learn, but even I know the difference between what a master polisher can do to a blade of this kind instead of a cheap amatuer polisher who might damage the blade in the process. As for the translation, I got more of a 文择 then any characters Im aware of being a Chinese speaker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..