Chicago Show report

having a great time at the show, will try and post pictures when I have a chance. It is a super turn out, there were great deals to be had, some major feeding frenzies, I hear of a number sword tassels (rank tassels) being offered by an old time collector for $30 each and buyers were climbing over each other to get them. Swords offer at some great prices by a number of older collectors who set up for the first time in several years and were happy to sell at prices they were used to in the past (and buyers were even more happy to snap them up), I saw buyers leaving with multiples swords to take back to their room. That was Friday. It is Saturday morning and the show opens in a few hours and this should be the busiest day.

Maybe some other NMB members can report what they though (If they have a moment between deals)

mark

The show started out slowly on Friday because many of the dealers arrive by air which these days isn't quite as reliable or on time as it used to be. Still, things picked up quite a bit later on Friday and Saturday was a very active day. I saw quite a number of outsiders walk in who obviously had never been to a sword show before but brought swords they wanted information on or were budding collectors interested in buying, looking for information as well as enjoying seeing so many good swords and fittings. Mark had obtained a 20% discount for food in the hotel dinning area for show attendees who ate at the hotel which was a very nice gesture. I also saw him giving an interview to a reporter from a local Chicago Japanese news paper. Good publicity never hurts and will help next years show even more. Unfortunately, I had to leave early Saturday afternoon, but not before I bought a sword and a few other things. There was still plenty of activity going on when I was leaving. It reminded me in many ways of the great Chicago shows of ten or more years ago. I'm sure next year's show will be even better. The show was well worth attending.

Ed Harbulak

Just back from the Midwest show. My hat goes off to the efforts of Mark as it was a great and very fun show. The level of both table holders as well as attendees was way up from last year, and I hope that next year will even be better. There were treasures to see and a few people even took some home! We posted some pics on our facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tetsugen ... 884?ref=hl) and hope that more will attend next year. We also found a nice Japanese restaurant that we will mark in our books for next year! Good job guys!

Great show! This one was very well organized. Table holders received a thoughtful welcome package with treats and goodies. There were some new faces, many walk-ins and a lot to buy at reasonable prices. Mike Yamasaki gave a super presentation on kodogu kantei. He also had treasures for all to look at. This was far different from the last few years. I see it as a show to grow! Well done Mark.

I, too, had a great time at the Chicago show. There were lots of folks (including a raft of old friends), lots of selling, and lots to look at. There was some serious high end eye-candy including jo-to toku-ju, as well as a lot of simply nice swords and fittings. And there seems to have been a lot of "merch" that was actively changing hands. Most of the dealing I saw involved utility grade stuff. Prices for that stuff were hardly "high", but the fact that guys were acquiring piles of stuff that could be described as ""entry level" suggests that out in the world there are new collectors interested in swords. I saw that as positive. Hopefully these collectors can be brought along.

As always, some collectors and dealers were culling thru the stuff being offered looking for potential. There seemed to be little interest in "ordinary stuff" - signed shinto had to be either real cheap or extremely good to attract attention. These sorts of swords may be collectible, but most collectors have figured out which ones they want. On the other hand, I happened to have been involved in 4 separate conversations about mumei nagamaki-naoshi. I learned from them and i think at least one really good blade may have been discovered (not by me, unfortunately). Bottom line, the community is more expert than it was and as a result it is making thoughtful assessments.

Finally, let me join the others in saying that the Show was extremely well run. Mark and his family made it easy and pleasant for us all to enjoy the event. Thank you! The contribution of the NBTHK-AB was also important. Bob Benson, Mike Yamasaki, Andy Quirt, Paul Davidson, and Fred Weissberg contributed to the show. They shared information and insights and provided social support to collectors with questions. Mike's "shinsa exercise" was terrific.

Again, next year!

Peter

Ok..so looks like this is one I have to try and get to. All fundraising is going to have to go towards this show next year. Would be great to finally meet some of you and see the USA for the second time. Hang onto a room for me. Air tickets running about $1700. Something to save towards....

Brian

The time I wasn't spending in the emergency room was great! I do echo Peter's comments about people looking for more lower end stuff and shared conversation with a couple excited younger/newer collectors. I think it was a great experience for them to see some truly amazing swords.

As a collector it was a great show for me - thanks Jason for the Nobufusa! Next year, I'll be sure to set my table up in a less accident-prone fashion ;) but at least the people around my table will be going home with a story (and some with a little of my DNA).

BIG thanks to Mark for keeping this show going!!!

Joe is made of stout stuff, I know I got a good look deep down inside. Good thing for "clot quick" and a decent first aid kit (sorry about the sting, I know that stuff hurts and may take some work at the hospital to remove but better that than losing too much blood). I was surprised he reacted so calmly and logically instead of panicking and going into shock, he is a big guy so would be a load to carry out (ha-ha). Anyway I wish you a full and speedy recovery. It gave the hotel staff some excitement. I enjoyed getting to know you and Angela better but would have preferred to do it under other circumstances.

See you next year

Mark

It was a great show! We had lots of walk in traffic from the general public, both people bringing in stuff and some who just though it sounded interesting. There was some great stuff that turned up and I think all were very happy. Mark and his family added lots of nice personal touches like refreshment bags for table holders and a cooler of pop for all. There were also 2 sword examining areas with lights and cleaning supplies which made sword viewing easy. I am looking foreword to next year and to this show doubling in size in the coming years. Joe your a pretty tough guy most would have gone in to shock with that cut!

Thanks again Mark and Fam!

Brian,

Really it was just an accident compounded by reaction. A woman accidentally bumped my Muto Hidehiro off of my table and I either went to catch it (which obviously, I know better) or just didn't get out of the way fast enough. The best part was that it was so sharp that when it hit me, my first thought was that I either caught the mune or the tsuka bumped my hand. It wasn't until I looked at my hand and saw the gushing blood that I realized that:

A. It sure wasn't the mune or tsuka and

B. This is going to take a heck of a lot more than a band-aid!

So I darted to the bathroom followed by a swarm of EXTREMELY helpful people. I got cleaned up, clotting agent applied (WHICH HURTS LIKE A SONUVA-B!), and off to the hospital. Before I left they did ask if they could do anything to help me out, to which I replied, "Can someone please clean my sword off?"

3 hours and literally a dozen stitches later, I was back at the show to let everyone know I was just fine. No major damage to tendons or nerves, but I did lose one of the two arteries to my finger and most important of all, the sword is fine. ;)

On the request of Bill before I left, I did get some good pics of the wound (which I'll save the skiddish folks from seeing). I do still think that blade deserves a cut-test write up!

post-1404-14196865698121_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196865704202_thumb.jpg

I think many of us who hold the swords in such high regard will automatilcally try and catch a falling sword. Stitches will fix most wounds, but a broken kissaki..... :)

Glad you're ok, and nice to put a face to the name. I wonder if we started a name/faces thread, would we get much response?....hmmmm

Congrats to Mark...from all comments I have heard, it was wonderfully organized and executed.

Brian

I agree with John, let the buyer pull the sword so you can watch to see if they know what their doing. ... and if your lucky to have a Japanese buyer and get to hear the sucking of the teeth...with a head tilt and saying ssseeee....damei yo....or....ssssseee kizu nei?..youll know hes about to barter you down. miss them days.

While the display was obviously perilous, the photo doesn't quite demonstrate the state when it happened. Lesson learned about the exposed blades (painfully learned) but at the time the sword was not over the table. Still - wont be doing that again! One of my most memorable parts of the show were the half dozen dealers that came over to share their stories (and show their scars) while welcoming me to the club.

Quote of the show: "Remember, they're live blades. They need to feed!"

I was a bit busy during the show and forgot to snap any pictures, I will make a note and do better next year. I did take a couple before the show opened Sunday morning, here they are, they show a bit of the room but all the treasures are covered up. I know Mike Y took some pictures as he has some on his facebook page, maybe he can upload a few. Maybe Joe or some of the other participants have some.

post-102-14196865777253_thumb.jpg

post-102-14196865795319_thumb.jpg

I have little more to add besides what's already been said so I'll just pile on and say that Mark and team did an outstanding job organizing the show. I thought there was a lot of foot traffic, some great bargains, and no shortage of opportunities to see and handle some good swords.

Really ,really envy the members and collectors that are able to get to these shows in the states. We have nothing like that in my neck of the woods , just the odd item that appears at auction houses .

Chris

Same here. Trying to steer a business trip to Japan towards the end of October tho :D .

I just read this on Andy Quirt's site ( Nihonto.us ) and would like to share it:

Resurrection

or

The Chicago Sword Show for Fun & Profit

Sleep no more, Macbeth hath murdered sleep. But, Marc, like surgeon skilled, did breathe life anew into fast expiring corpse.

And then along came Jones. Jones, who with kind heart and earnest effort did free entombed Lazarus and revitalize that which had been assumed a decaying cadaver.

I had given up on the Chicago sword show some years ago as a boring waste of time and money. I had watched this once premier show dwindle and shrivel from neglect to an event --- no, event is too good a word, to an annual occurrence that was as exciting as watching paint dry and dust settle, and as lucrative as flushing money down the toilet. It had been years since I had either attended or had a good word for it.

So even though I had promised Mark Jones, that since he was taking over the show, I would attend one last time, when came the scheduled day of departure, I could scarce get myself to get out of bed for my morning flight. In fact, although the plane, hotel, and show table had already been paid for, I seriously considered just writing them off and staying home. Why, I reasoned, since I have already lost the money, should I waste the weekend as well? But a promise is a promise, and since a couple of others were attending because I said that I was, I did not dare stay home. Now I am enormously happy that I didn’t.

All I can say is WOW! Mark Jones did an incredible job of pulling the show together. Despite its recent history and reputation, he managed to nearly double the attendance. The show was sold out, and he had to turn away people who wanted tables. He and his family were right on top of everything. Mingling with exhibitors and inquiring if there was anything that they could to do for them. This, a complete 180 degree turn around from the past events.

Beyond making the show work, there were unexpected perks, like snack bags with bottled water, cookies, and munchies on every table. He negotiated a 20% discount at the hotel restaurant for exhibitors. Mark also hosted the exhibitors in his room with an open bar Thursday and Friday nights.

Business was being done, both large and small. New materials were brought in by the public, some of interest, some just dreck, but new materials came in. Of particular interest was a three barreled matchlock pistol, which unfortunately, did not find a new home.

The AB/NBTHK’s seminar on comparative evaluation of tosogu by Mike Yamazaki played to a packed room, and had to be extended.

Much more than the physical turn around, of what had in the past become a dreary exercise of boredom, people had fun. The entire mood of the show was upbeat. This, along with San Francisco, Tampa, and the Dai Token Ichi, is now on my list of must attend shows. I can not recommend the new and improved Chicago sword show strongly enough. Kudos to Mark!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..