Opinions on Tsuba

Ronin 47

Hi all,

Can't sleep and actually caught up with posts close enough to actual posting times. While I really don't know, seeing the punch marks sort of reminds me of some sukashi tsuba that were talked about a while ago although they look to be done a bit sloppier? Seeing the posted shoami piece, it may be possible that it was done by a country smith that copied the original design. Purely a guess on my part and certainly one that would be hard if not impossible to prove but just reminds me of the conversation I had on different tsuba. Best.

A classic design of heaven surrounding the earth. Inlay is quite nice. I wonder at the nanako patterns one sees sometimes that are nicely in line, at others overlapping and sometimes not following the pattern so well. Gives a texture without being a static pattern. Intentional? Maybe in cases it wasn't important that it must be. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..