Kogai ana size?

Dr Fox

Guys

I am looking to have a saya made for a wakazashi. I would like to have a kogai pocket built in. Now I have a tsuba I would like to use, but the kogai ana looks very small. So my question is, what would be the minimum ana size I should have in a tsuba? or do I first buy a kogai and size to that? :dunno:

Denis.

Hi Dennis.

I think it might be the answer. Kogai do vary in size quite a bit, depending on the koshirae they are used for. Some tanto have quite small ones, is it perhaps the case that your tsuba was intended for either a small wakizashi or a tanto?

You certainly don't want to be enlarging the hitsu so you are shopping for a kogai that will fit comfortably. Might take a while but Aoi Art are very good at giving full dimensions for their stock as I discovered when searching for a slightly smaller than average kodzuka to fit a koshire.

Have fun.

Geraint

Thank you for the insight, into the subject, I was lacking in the knowledge you imparted, that is the reason that what Chris said was to me puzzling. The wakazshi I want to set up is as full in size as a katana, so with what you indicate I see its best to source first the tsuba, and then the kogai.

Thanks both.

Denis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..