Positive Recommendation of Ebay Seller in Japan

I had a very pleasant purchase on eBay from a Japanese seller.

In my experience, they are a class act. I decided to recommend them.

They have an interesting tsuba up now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSUBA-Japanese- ... 1e78e285dc

NBTHK papers and all. It actually says made with namban tetsu. I've seen this on swords, but don't recall seeing this on a tsuba.

Enjoyable looking tsuba too.

Attached below are images of the fuchi kashira I purchased.

I was a little shocked to see this on ebay. They are 4th generation Nishigaki, signed and dated July 1776

He was about 76 years old at the time of making these very large f/k, and did them in a very non-Higo shape.

Really interesting experimentation by a retired mainline maker at an old age, at a time when our USA founding fathers were off trying some

experiments of their own.

Since we are moving soon, I offered to pay for express delivery. They told me not to worry, and sent it right away lighting fast. They paid the extra $15 or so to send it that way, and did a phenomenal job packaging it. Both wife and I were just impressed by old school class of the seller. Highly recommended, and I hope others have similar experiences.

post-51-14196862976974_thumb.jpg

post-51-14196862983959_thumb.jpg

post-51-1419686300108_thumb.jpg

The few Japanese ebayers that i have dealt with have been 1st class too, very methodical and well mannered. I like the fuchi by the way, il be on the lookout for large fuchi kashira and tsuba myself, not just yet though, bit skint...

Alex.

Katana-maeda? Yeah he seemed to pop up out of no where a few months ago. He seems to have some pretty good items in stock. Glad to hear he is professional. I am sure that I will buy from him in the future if he keeps pumping out the good stuff.

How can something be well priced if it is on auction? :lol:

Yep..I was (might) gonna have a go at that one...I still want a nice naginata after a certain Hong Kong collector got away with my pride and joy in a moment of weakness ;)

No..EMS will only send these to countries with no stop over. So the option is to send it to someone in the US to forward to you or me. Double postage, double duties.

Brian

Yeah to get swords into most locations in Canada now you need to have them shipped by FedEx, surface, or usps from the states. All other carriers will deny the package. If you live in Vancouver B.C. -EMS will still ship to that location internationally with no problems.

The yen has dropped so much in value recently that I suspect that sales to the US are much more profitable than they were 6 months ago. I just wish that it had dropped before I paid for all the restoration work that I am having done. :cry:

Hi Curran,

Thanks for the information about this seller from Japan I will save him as a favorite. The Nanban tsuba is very interesting as it says that it was made with Nanban-tetsu. I have read in a few places but not an expert nor do I have a large cottection of Hizen blades to compare that Shinto era Hizento were also made with Nanban-tetsu that is why they have very dark jigane. My early Nanban tsuba might be made from the same type of iron but it is mumei and much older.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Bidding was not that unusual, that one guy upped his maximum bid a lot of times, but if you look at his account, you'll see that only 2% of his eBay biddings were with that specific seller. So in my opinion, he bit of more than he could chew and asked the seller to cancel the sale? Just my opinion...

Apparently someone tried real hard to ruin this guy's auction. The individual who raised 30 times his bid until he managed to outbid the 6666$ bid was obviously trying just to figure out that maximum bid, not to get the item. And was doing this after his $1,250.00 bid was beaten.

Tbh I doubt that the 6666$ bid was legit either.

David,

My feeling on Namban:

Nice to have a few for a while, but not to keep.

Only keep the if they are:

(1) Really fine condition early examples

(2) Something very funky or different

You definitely have #1.

This one on ebay is #2. Signature is one of the most unique I can remember, design is straight out of a D&D Monster Manual, and NBTHK Hozon.

That table of Nambans in Tampa: 49 out of 50 didn't interest me much. Give me #1 (yours) or #2 (something like this ebay one).

I visited Katana-Maeda website, and it looks like they were regulars on Bidders.com until it got shut down. Then they decided to migrate to eBay and give it a try.

Hi Curran,

Some wise words of wisdom and the D&D reference will help nerds like me to relate. Nanban tsuba are fairly common but really nice ones will stick in your mind just like any nice work of art. I remember one really nice Nanban tsuba made from a brass European watch case. Would love to see pictures of it again.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..