Odd bohi on Hoki Nobutaka wakizashi

runagmc

Hi, I wanted to post this wakizashi by the sandai Hoki no Kami Nobutaka because I thought the way the bohi (on the omote) is done is unusual, and I wondered if anyone has seen something like this before. To me, it looks like it was poorly done (the position of the bohi doesn't follow the lines of the sword)- but since the sword has Tokubetsu Hozon papers, I would assume the shinsa team didn't see it as bad craftsmanship ( which would have to mean it was purposely done this way :dunno: ). I'm sure there's not much anyone can say about it, but it's just something I haven't seen before, so I thought I would post it... http://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-hoki- ... a-nobutaka post-2413-14196862853389_thumb.jpg

Hi Adam,

Nothing strikes me as particularly awful about the hi. Normally the 2 hi stop at the same spot on both sides, which they don't on this blade, but since you can't look at both sides at once except in pictures that's not the end of the world. Bo hi on Koto blades tend to occupy the full width of the shinogi ji, and often less than full width on Shinto. Could that explain what you're noticing?

Grey

Just reread your post. It is unusual how the 2 hi aren't the same width. Seems strange this wasn't fixed at polish.

Hi Grey, to me it looks like the hi on the omote is carved a good bit further down from the mune, making the shinogiji extra wide. Just doesn't fit the suguta of the sword IMHO...

If you look at the closeups on the aoiart link, it looks even more unprofessional...

Adrian -

I see what you mean - has a classic look of ato-bori. i dont see the paper on your link i wonder if there is any notation there? The temper in the kaeri is quite close to the hi on the omote so we should wonder if original hi were not altered?

-t

I was mainly interested in the fact that they said the sword has Tokubetsu Hozon papers... I wouldn't think a Shinto wakizashi with bad lines and a poorly executed bohi would get TH papers. Like Tom points out, they don't actually show the papers, so maybe there's a mistake in the auction info. :dunno: Do you guys think such a sword COULD get TH papers?

Hi,

Mune seems asymmetrical.

I wouldn't think a Shinto wakizashi with bad lines and a poorly executed bohi would get TH papers. Like Tom points out, they don't actually show the papers, so maybe there's a mistake in the auction info. Do you guys think such a sword COULD get TH papers?

It is possible it was polished after having obtained tokuho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..