Kanesada wakizashi

No-one said you won't find diamonds in the rough...we said you won't find a treasure that goes unnoticed or dirt cheap.

The fact that this is a wakizashi, unpolished and still went for over $2300 on eBay proves this. People saw it, and bid on it. Add the polish and papers, and it was about right.

Imho, shoshin. Nice blade.

Brian

I'm pretty certain it's genuine. I spent a couple of days looking at the mei and did a careful comparison with what I have in Fujishiro, Nihonto Zuikan, and papered swords on various websites. I placed a price tag on it and came out as the under bidder. I'm not heart broken, though. As Chris says, it still needs a polish & new shirasaya & shinsa. For your enjoyment, here is the mei comparison. The nakago shape, nakago jiri, and yasurime are all consistent with examples I have, too.

Regards,

Hoanh

post-3198-14196861927116_thumb.jpg

Jacques,

The only thing that nagged me a little (and only a little) is the top kanji. Some of the strokes are a little different from the rest of the verified examples, specifically the top horizontal stroke. But, it is well chiseled, deep and confident, and there are enough variations even between the verified examples that my opinion is that it is shoshin. If one of the NMB members is the lucky winner of the auction, won't he/she be so kind as to let us know the result of shinsa when it is available? From the way the auction went, the other two guys knew exactly what they were doing. I have the feeling there is a good chance they are members here.

Regards,

Hoanh

Jacques,

Yes, I see your marked up area that shows variation from the other mei. I don't understand why this variation is crucial, though, as there are enough variations in these particular strokes among the other mei as well. Will you please elaborate so I can understand more clearly?

Regards,

Hoanh

Here is Jacques' excellent comparison hosted here, where it will still be in a few months instead of a dead link to an image hosting site. ;)

Yes..there are some variations, but I would bet money it is shoshin.

Brian

echigo-no-kami-kanesada-nakago-1-_imagesia-com_6g6n.jpg

Brian,

Actually, that was my mei comparison. I made that one up to study and ponder when I was contemplating whether or not to bid on the wakizashi. In the end, I decided it was shoshin but was too cheap with my bid. Oh well...Cheap is my middle name!

Regards,

Hoanh

Ah..sorry Hoanh.

I had just looked at your pic a minute before

Must be losing my mind.

No worries, Brian! Anyhow, even though I didn't win the auction, I am happy. I just realized that I have made progress with my nihonto study in the past year and collected enough resources in my library to discuss shoshin & gimei intelligently. Hahaha... who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? (not that I'm old compared to most of you guys :rotfl: ).

Hoanh

One could pick out something in almost each one of the shoshin examples that is different from the others. I don't think one can make any determinations here without blade in hand, but it looks close enough in my opinion that I would have been comfortable paying the winning bid for it...

Hi All. Great thread on this sword. I am the winning bidder on it but I don't yet have it in hand. I looked at all my examples in the taikans and Fujishiro and am convinced that it is shoshin. Kanesada (aka Terukane) is ranked jojo saku and according to my reading has had over 80 blades go juyo (half as Terukane and half as Kanesada). The quality of the work visible in the photos is convincing to me. I'm not saying that this sword will go juyo, but if it makes even tokubetsu hozon, then this is a very cheap price versus the value it will have after polish and shinsa. Protecting value is only one goal for sensible collectors, but I was also motivated due to my pleasure from this school of work. I am awaiting three blades' return from restoration by Kenji Mishina that are related (Echizen Tsuda Sukehiro, Shimada Sukemune (we have a thread on this one) and Tango Kanemichi (I think I posted a photo of the amazing hamon of this one)), all of which have these characteristics (so far all three have made tokubetsu hozon). This Kanesada has wonderful toran ba and tobiyaki, and I hope that when I hold it in hand it will show its true beauty. It has not been in the hands of collectors yet, and I usually focus on such blades only on ebay. Hoanh, you clearly have come a long way, and I'm sorry that it didn't go your way. Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

My gut instinct was right that it must be one of us here ;). Congratulations on a fine purchase! I'm happy the sword found a new custodian in one of the members. Won't you let us know how the result of shinsa when it becomes available? If you are so inclined, please post the result here or drop me a private email. About the sword not going my way, that's quite alright. There will always be another worthwhile sword. I'll drop you an email later today to catch up.

Regards,

Hoanh

I studied this mei for a while against all the examples I have, and I would think it's shoshin. If not, it's a brilliant gimei. Jacques has done well to point out some variances, but in my opinion they aren't really any more substantial than the variances found amongst the papered examples. Hopefully the shinsa team will agree. :D

i also studied the mei carefully. To me, the two strokes inside the sada were the most variable. If you notice the fifth mei from the left, it has the two strokes on the left side of the space in the center of the sada. The ebay sword also has those two strokes on the left side. All the others have them in the middle of the box of the sada. That fifth example is also the most similar to the ebay sword in terms of the angle of the kami that Jacques was referring to as well as the space between the kane and the sada. Often times, makers signatures drift slowly with age, and I assume that the ebay sword and the fifth example from the left were made at roughly the same time. I'm really quite confident that it is shoshin, but we will see what the NBTHK thinks! I will keep you posted on the result. Same thing with the Sukehiro and the Sukemune, both of which are going to be submitted for Juyo. Cheers, Bob

Hi,

What I mean is that if you trace a line starting from the dot at the bottom of the kanji kami and centered on it up to the little vertical stroke which cuts the horizontal line , this line does not cut the vertical stroke . it is not the case on the mei discussed here.

echigo-no-kami-kanesada-nakago_imagesia-com_6hqa_small.jpg

Jacques,

I don't think this is relevant in this case.

What I mean is; if you make that trace on every equivalent cut you will not get a match in any case presented. We must assume that there are no Gimei in the books. With that assumption it is not relevant to measure whether it is Gimei or Shoshin. All the major hallmarks are there...Mei, Yasurime etc.

I'm sure it's a good way test/verify Mei in general, but in this specific case and smith I would say no.

What do you think?

/Martin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..