Tanto stand

It can be a very nice project. You can see in some threads that forum members have made amazing stands.

Unfortunately I lack woodworking skills, but even I have managed to make a decent very simple stand for katana. I just usually keep my mogito in it as I don't consider it worthy of anything else (and I lack tablespace), but I switched to real thing for this pic.

20130312185517.jpg

Good thing about very plain design, such as that above, is that you can easily alter it's design to hold different sized swords. The hardest part for me was the shaping of the holding parts, mine are like rounded Y-shape and actual holding part is U-shape (but bit crude due to my lack of skill). I decided to go with solid base design and not creating legs.

All stands if you cannot afford an original are pretty simple to make,providing you have a basic wood working ability.

Three below are stands made with only basic kit,some I made were far more fancy but cannot find the pic's.....have a go, not rocket science.

post-1746-1419686214738_thumb.jpg

post-1746-14196862149463_thumb.jpg

post-1746-14196862151334_thumb.jpg

Roy come clean now! You make these for a living don't you? If you don't, then you should, stunning! the flow of the supports, and the solid suggestion in the bases, is to my eyes art in itself. Oh! and by the way, for me to produce what you have done, is indeed rocket science. :bowdown:

Denis.

Hi Doc

Odd thing about us Humans,we think we can't so we dont try. Also a generation thing I suspect,back then if you could not afford something you had a go at making it. I remember wanting a radio controlled boat,could afford the basic control system so bought some model makers marine ply and a bundle of Meccano ......great fun when the banks of oars on the strange Bireme took to the water.

There are things that I find for me impossible,binding Tsuka well,being sensible at Auctions and understanding my child bride after 46 years together :oops:

Lol, nice one Roy, enjoyed your web site spent a bit of time there, it seems to be going well, lots thats old, and lots thats sold. I have discovered you too late, being in Wales could have been handy for me. Its always the same, meet nice people at the end of your holiday. :(

Regards

Denis

Hi Adrian

Would do if I had any,took the basic design from an original stand,made a bundle of the base sections from off cut floor joists. The rest was made from any decent wood I found so each on was a one off.

Only templates were cups,paint tins and the like for curves,cheap plastic drawing set so nothing perminant.

One suggestion,after the first I was not happy re the joint section so went to my local Vet and got some used syringes, fill with fine flexy polyfilla put a thin amount along every join. This really finish's the job well. Textureing is again with a watered down filler and stippled with a damp sponge, this works well but needs to be well dry before applying paint.

Allways under coat with a matt red primer,if you want an aged look with black lacquer cut back with say T'Cut untill the primer begins to show, with a little trial this can look good.

Simple Mon such as the Hoskawa,can be made with 'fablon' but should say here that none of this was made to fool anyone,just for my own pleasure.{Add that before am deluged with accusations} most of the stands made were either given away or sold for charity.

Have a go chaps,can be fun and you do not need a vast range of tools,mine are a jig saw,circular saw and a few cheap chisels.

Roy

post-1746-14196862219401_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..