Canadian customs issues

Has anybody tried to ship swords to Canada since January 13, 2013? They changed something in the importation regulations since that date. Apparently customs is cracking down on Canadians and swords are an issue all of a sudden.. I read the updated version and it doesn't state that swords are now prohibited.. The reason I ask is because I have 2 swords I'm trying to import from Japan at the moment via FedEx (usually not a problem) and the guy who I bought them from says that FedEx called him today to warn him that the parcel may be denied by Canadian customs and to notify me just in case. He has shipped to me before with no problems.. I also just shipped 2 blades out to Bob benson in Hawaii at the end of January and reallllly hope I don't have an issue when it's time to have them returned..

Anybody have anything comforting to say? Or recent customs issues? I contacted FedEx already and customer service is not helpful whatsoever.

Hi Josh, I was not aware of any change by customs in prohibiting these items.... it wouldn't surprise me though!

One thing I know is that Canadian customs is tightening the security and apparently every, and I mean every item that goes in and out of Canada is being scanned unlike before.

I sent a blade out recently and the lady working at FedEx office told me that each parcel will go through X-Ray, she said they are beefing up security and regulations in efforts to modernize and I guess make it more difficult for us to purchase internationally. That new system should be in operation because FedEx had advised all the employees working at the depots. Don't worry I get the same treatment whenever I call customer service, you get a different reply from agent to agent.

That must be it then (what the seller was trying to say). They are asking all employees to advise customers that security is going up and to not be surprised if items of this nature are seized or questioned. I guess we had it too easy before? Well at least we still don't need a permit.. Haha. Thanks for the insight!

I sent one recently without difficulty and am sending another Friday. It is important to have accurate documentation for customs. I include a brief description in layman's terms not nihonto terminology, along with a full length photo and a close up of the nakago, and a photo of the papers if applicable, correct tariff code, etc..

Its been a couple of years since I shipped blades in and out of Canada, but it was never easy as I recall, and it paid to be diligent and provide more than requested by the handling agents. I found it particularly prudent to affix to the outside of packages (coming and going) two documents:

1) Instructions for Customs Officials (essentially handling procedures in laymens terms for blades)

2) A Commercial Invoice which clearly states the Harmonized Tarrif Code for antiques over 100yrs: 9706.00.00.90 (assuming it has not changed). The commercial invoice needed to have a comprehensive description in laymens terms, with photographs of the blades and copies of any shinsa papers with translations.

When I added these two pieces of documentation, everything went smoothly.... besides getting the crap taxed out of me. Canadian customs are global leaders in exorbitant taxation...

Good Luck!

Best,

Boris.

• 2 months later...

Went through a hassle in February/March 2012. There were several reasons given:

1. The sword I was receiving did not have the Japanese ministry permission to export slip taped to the outside of the package. (Canada Customs)

2. They could not believe a 700 year old sword was not a national treasure. (Canada Customs)

3. Fed Ex was being targeted by customs as part of a roving program by customs and every parcel was being held and checked before being released. (Fed Ex representative reason)

Nothing was ever mentioned about the importation of swords and their being weapons.

I was on the phone with Canada Customs for two weeks. Every day. I was very agitated especially when they told me it was being held and investigated by some unknown individual. I went through every detail about the handling and car of the sword. That there was no nicks etc.. etc.. prior to shipping. Reiterated the cost of a polish if it were scratched and that it may not polish and the potential cost to them of a 700 year old Norinaga blade that might be ruined if it was polished again. I faxed them all my transactions/ e-mails with the company in Japan that sold me the sword. The sword was released to me with the customs representative starting:

1. He looked after the sword personally and made sure it was not withdrawn from the scabbard and that no one else handled the blade. (I took this at face value)

2. The sword was being released to me because I had been very forthcoming regarding the e-mails and paperwork.

As a footnote this particular representative also stated that customs was making a greater effort to crack down on the import export of items of national importance.

Now, as a police officer that is familiar with airport trafficking one should realize that criminals do infiltrate private companies in order to set up smuggling rings. Perhaps we should look and see if it is just certain companies that Canada Customs is targeting. They may be a little lax of late in the Human Resource departments and we are paying as a result.

If you need any contact info for the Customs investigators I dealt with at Pearson International just e mail me. They all seemed well meaning but they really did not have a clue regarding Nihonto. I even offered to volunteer my time to teach them handling procedure. They were not very receptive even though I pointed out that they did have a responsibility to care for a historical item that they had interfered with and that they evidently were not prepared to deal with.

Tony Martin

The sword is posted with a few pics on this website.

under Norinaga if you care. It was worth every bit of the hassle. :bang:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..