Identify a Katana

Hi!

New to this foroum and not quite sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll try anyway.

I'm wondering about buying a WWII Katana. It is an Japanese officer katana, but I would like to know more about it condition, value, who made it. etc.

So if I post pictures here, is there anyone who could help me with my questions? Dont have any pics right now, but will soon ask seller for detalied pics.

Cheers,

Steinar, Norway

I'll second that. We all love looking at blades, and we don't mind offering opinions as long as you take them with the proverbial grain of salt.

Please post pictures. But the better the picture, often better the opinion.

If you want an opinion, I suggest taking the following pictures.

1. A shot showing the whole blade without any fittings, so we can see the overall shape of the blade.

2. A close-up shot of the boshi (tip).

3. A close-up shot of the signature side of the nakago (tang).

4. A close-up shot of the ha-machi (the notch where the collar meets the blade).

5. A shot of a middle section of the blade showing a section of hamon (temper line).

6. Any unusual markings like horimono (carvings), armory stamps, etc.

7. Some shots of the fittings.

Hope it helps... :)

DaveF.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..