Umetada sharing

Mantis dude

Hi all,

I know I have been negligent these past few years in sharing and I still have personal reasons for maintaining low profile. But I wanted to share this tsuba that I got early on that always captured my interest, is one of my favorite kinko pieces and I love the patina. The patina might be getting too dark not sure i can really control that? any advice of course is welcome, I think the patina has added more depth to the piece but I assume at some point it will get too dark. but I am mostly just trying to share. Details from my notes are as follows:

Mokkogata Tsuba carved as flower petals that came from Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester collection. The base plate is made of sentoku, a yellow metal alloy consisting of copper, zinc and tin. The plate has a wonderful patina and nice variation in coloring. The mantis and wagon wheels are depicted using inlaid gilt hirozogan. The plate is surrounded by a fukarim made of shakudo which has an amazing smooth feel to it. There is no signature but has been attributed to the Umetada school. I think the kogai-ana has been added later and unfortunately done a little sloppy. It is carved a bit on the mantis and the side closest to the center is chipped, still this is a neat piece. The width is 71mm (2 26/32"), height is 75mm (2 30/32"), at the seppadai is 4mm (5/32") and the mimi is 4.5mm (6/32").
I will also add, picking it up just now, it is dense (heavy) more so than i remembered or would have thought. Any and all comments are appreciated. Hope some enjoy it. Thanks.

mantis29_zps9bf8c952.jpg

mantis29back_zps29c796af.jpg

mantis29close_zpsa12bfa06.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..