kogai part, what did I miss for $500+??

kaigunair

I was watching this item because I thought the work was good and had just been reading about the construction of kogai. Thought it would make an interesting study piece, but someone else thought so too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D530-cf4a-edo-S ... fresh=true

I'm guessing the main body of the kogai it got melted down for the gold. Was this goto school work or something :dunno: ?

Perhaps the plate from a damaged kogai, this quail scene is typical of Ishiguro style work. Kogai are usually foiled when gold, not solid.

Thanks for the attribution Frank. Does look like Ishiguro. This example I found is not on nanako though:

http://educators.mfa.org/objects/detail ... +Masayoshi

If this was from a solid gold kogai, would this be correct for the non-gold design part? I've been reading so many books and online sites recently, I can't remember where I read about how some kogai are made in separate parts....

John, good point, but why would someone file it to look like this? Wouldn't it be better as a normal kozuka shaped thing? (I'm assuming that's what it would have been if this is a filed down example..)

ok, gotta hit the hay....

Saw that. Even briefly thought about bidding on it.

Someone either wanted an Ishiguro or Ishiguro style piece at a discount (as I was considering),

~~~ or a art restorer / dealer saw it and this will appear in a kogai some time in the next year or two.

If Cary Condell was still alive, this would be on Ikkyudo.com (sp?) in 1 year's time.

I know a lot of people hated him, really hated him, but guess I was one of the few who appreciated his aesthetic sense of restoration jobs.

[attachment=0]T-139_ishiguro-koreyoshi1.jpg[/attachment]score one for tetsugendo, we won it, this is why...

That's 2 items you beat me out of! :lol: But good to know my "eye" for this area is at least picking up on items worthy of Mike Y. Now if my wallet would only catch up....

Oh, and saw an old post from raiden resurface, so :thanks: :beer: :beer: :beer: for posting pics of wonderful machibori items. I wish I was at the SF show where you did your display. I recently joined the SF club, so will probably be searching you out at future shows. PLEASE CONSIDER DOING IT AGAIN. The club is supposidly emphasizing tsuba this year in their meetings...but its mostly a room full of old iron collectors *sigh*.

Not sure when we will do machibori again, I am thinking of another avenue....The machibori lecture was a special one, I'm glad that it was well received as it was never done before in the US. This month i am doing a different angle on tameshimei katana for the NTK, not the usual info that has been hashed around, but from a new perspective. We will have about 5-7 pieces of kinzogan tameshimei swords for hands on study. All certified by the NBTHK as genuine.

:idea: Well, if you could add examples if inlayed signature on tsubas too, that would be the bee's knees!!!!

It's starting to feel like fittings and blades are two completely different worlds, and it's more of a blade world here in the states and in the various nihonto clubs. *sigh*

its always been 2 different worlds. when I started collecting they said swords are hard, fittings even more. There are lot of picture books on fittings but it doesn't seem to be as many translated texts. Swords often are dated, but how many fittings are? I sort of realized a long time ago, I am going to be a beginner for ever. I might get some knowledge but the gaps will be big, I just don't have access to holding pieces. I enjoy it still and this forum is very helpful but I know they won't be holding a spot on the shinsa team for me and I am ok with that.

:oops: that was a little crass for this thread, no? :dunno:

ANYHOW, Mantis Dude, I agree about the books and level of translations. I guess in a way, that's a good thing for a new collector like me whose spending a ton on reference books. I feel that if the ishiguro kozuka were a sword equivalent, I would have not been able to get anywhere near the serious collectors in terms of bidding price. The fact that this went for only $500, that's a good sign to me.

Its also much easier for non nihonto-philes to appreciate a fine kinko tsuba, the beauty and the craftsmanship it represents. The appreciation of a blade is a much more "acquired taste" and harder to explain to the casual friend/observer the difference between a $10000 sword and a $100000 one. Easier to see the difference between a $1000 tsuba and a $10000 one. If anything, iron tsuba collecting seems alittle more akin to blade collection, IMHO.

Viva la tosogu!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..