What is a good Gunto?

Dr Fox

Hi

I am turning to the Military collectors amongst us, for some advice. I have been given the exclusive opportunity, to purchase a private collection of 7 Military swords, all gunto type, at least 4 signed, with 1 gendaito included, all with military koshirae. My question is, what would you say are the no no's, in buying military swords of this type?

Thanks in anticipation

Denis.

Just don't spend too much on showato. Actually, only buy them if they're in good condition and a good price. Buy the gendaito. Look over all of the showato and just make sure they aren't "Frankensteins" (mash of spare parts put together). Militaria collectors want matching numbers, good paint jobs, no rust, and most importantly, no restoration needed! As is condition only. Militaria collects feel that restoration removes historical value. Nihonto collectors will accept a cheap purchase gendaito even if restoration is required.

That's my two cents. Good luck!

Josh

And a good two cents it is too, this collector owns about 45 Nihonto, The military blades have had their blades polished, one was purchased from a top London dealer, and has a surrender tag. There is no mistrust on my part here, its just that I wanted to have a little knowledge, as to what to expect, just so I could avoid looking stupid, working out of my field so to speak.

Denis

Thanks for the responses guys, He had the blades polished by a respectable polisher, I don't have a name. All the swords he owns are shown at their best, including the military.

Another deciding factor of course, will be sale prices.

I will keep you in mind Jareth.

Regards Denis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..