Minamoto Yoshichika

Dr. Richard Stein ( http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm ) mentions the following: "It has recently been established that there was a second generation ( nidai ) Minamoto Yoshichika. Examples of his work with the inscription at the top of the signature "Nidai" are rare. The oshigata at right reads Nidai (mekugi ana drilled through) Minamoto Yoshichika saku kore." I have a rather nice katana by this smith and I would like to know how it has been determined that Nidai Minamoto Yoshichka is a second generations smith. Dr. Stein's contact information seems rather unavailable to ask this question of him directly. Larry Young

I have never seen anything written about the nidai; I have seen next to nothing about the shodai as well....

I have seen several swords signed "Nidai Minamoto Yoshichika" so that is all we have to go on. Since the swords were all period correct and the workmanship was very similar to the shodai, I have no reason to believe they weren't what they were claiming to be....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..