Mei Translation

md02geist

Can anyone translate this, and identify it as legit or fake looking? I'm sorry the pics are not better, the signature is under a bit of corrosion so this was the best I could get off the bat.

Disclaimer: This is not my blade, this is a blade of someone I know who asked me to ask you guys about it. He seems to believe it is a blade from somewhere in the early 1900s.

P1030183_zps3ca0f98d.jpg

P1030182_zps3ebab40a.jpg

Can anyone translate this, and identify it as legit or fake looking? I'm sorry the pics are not better, the signature is under a bit of corrosion so this was the best I could get off the bat.

Disclaimer: This is not my blade, this is a blade of someone I know who asked me to ask you guys about it. He seems to believe it is a blade from somewhere in the early 1900s.

May, 1944

Kokura Rikugun Zoheisho

Made in May, 1944 at the Kokura Army Armory

It is genuine....

I've never seen a sword signed strictly with the arsenal. The yasurime looks pretty strong. Any pics of the blade?

I will be happy to take some when I get home tomorrow.

It is not in good shape, it has been sitting in a closet neglected for probably the better part of 25 years. At some point in time it also appears that a sharpening job was attempted using who knows what methods, as the edge of the blade shows friction (a VERY small amount) that reminds me of sand paper grating.

I do believe it is something that could be removed with some elbow grease and proper techniques but it is present.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to let you know that this sword was now given to me as a gift from the person I initially asked about it. 

May i ask what other things I should be looking for on this blade other than the mei, if there are any, to more thoroughly identify it?

It does not have any koshirae or saya, the tsuba I'm not sure if it is original or not, and the tsuka is a hand made job done with cheap wood and tape to mimic the tsukamaki.

I think this is the fourth such signed blade that has come up on this board...you'll have to search. 

Several have a star stamp also, but none had a signature. They are all "mei" cutting and yasuri mei by the same hand as yours. I don't know who he is. Some/all had a small stamp on back of nakago mune also 'ko' for Kokura.

There is a book called 'Kokura Rikugun Zoheisho' by Nakahara Sumiko (Nakahara publishing- Kitakyushu) 2011 and 2012. I have not seen it but if any member has it maybe it has some info on sword making (bearing in mind they also made tanks, bayonets etc etc).

the quality of the mei and finish looks too good to be just a showato...but who knows?

Regards,

Wow. Blast from the past! Take some pics of the blade itself. As I said a few years ago, I've never seen an example like this before. Could be gendaito, could be showato but pics will help with that.

Will do! I will try to get some tomorrow. My photography equipment and skills are lacking but maybe I can take some that help, at least some close ups.

It was a sword my father bought back in the 70s at some antique market for like 70 bucks or something, and he gave it to me for my birthday last year as I'm the only one of his kids who would appreciate such a thing. I plan on putting it in a display box and putting it on the wall in my office.

The HABAKI does not seem to be the original one if it is one at all. 

I would like to suggest that you show the blade to an expert to learn proper handling and care. Do not put Japanese blades in a box and do not hang them on the wall unless they are wallhangers!

Thank you for your input; I did not believe the habaki to be legit.

Also if you cannot put them in a display case I see no possible way to show them, and every museum in the world is wrong.

I plan on making a display case out of high quality wood, uv resistant glass, and a silk insert.

"The Army instituted a program around 1943 to produce traditionally made blades through contract smiths and at the same time, hired traditionally trained smiths to make swords and instruct at their arsenals in Kokura, Osaka, and Tokyo. These blades are usually inscribed XX Rikugun Zoheisho and have been, in my experience, traditionally made. Of course there is always that exception, but in general, it is safe to assume blades made at these arsenal forges are traditionally made."

What I was told today.

CB be my guess where that came from

You'll pardon me but I do not understand what you mean by "CB." Thank you!

If those are initials you are correct but I do not know this man from anyone else; I have no idea who he is (I do not mean that disrespectfully I just mean that I simply do not know him or of him).

http://www.jp-sword.com/files/blade/moritaka/moritaka.htm

This was shared with me as a suggestion of smith.

What do you all think?

I actually disagree on this call. I can see why it was made - 'sharp' nakago jiri and well and deep carved yasurime - but in the examples that I have seen the nakago looks a lot more like your example linked. More equal angles coming off the point, where yours has one shallow angle and another more steep. Just my opinion and it's worth about 1/3 of what you paid for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..