Nagamitsu or not?

kissakai

This is the blade that goes with the koshirae just posted

Now members can see all parts of the katana it would be nice that they tied up but we will see

Reading about WWII swords brought back via someone’s granddad and the story being changed over the years. This story is better

Through a friend of friend (in the UK) I purchased this katana a few weeks ago

I bought it directly from the returning soldier who is now 91 years of age. The best bit is that I couldn’t pick it up earlier as he was just going to Africa on a two week safari – brill!

He was reticent to speak of the incident but did say it was surrendered to him by a Japanese officer and was indeed a family sword. You know the Brits are not very sensationalist with their stories so I am convinced this is true. Initially he wanted it to go back to Japan but I did say this was virtually impossible but I would give it a good home and have no intention of selling it.

He brought it back, it went into his attic and stayed there (I heard about it from his son). Although I would not press for details I feel it brought back too many bad memories. My dad’s brother was killed in Burma so I do have an idea what he meant.

I posted a katana on the NHM about a month or two ago and had some excellent advice especially from Jean. So bearing this in mind I think it is early shihshinto, made in the Bizen area by Nagamitsu. Nagamitsu being a common name for a smith hasn’t helped at all and there are points in a Bizen blade that are not shown in mine but it would be clearer if it was in ‘polish’. The edge of the nakago is rusted away. Sorry about the quality but that is the best I can do. If any more images would help please let me know

30ju4gk.jpg

bhaaeh.jpg

2q2476s.jpg

2yzhpw4.jpg

295pirq.jpg

5k52fr.jpg

64ieme.jpg

bdwd53.jpg

11j94wz.jpg

Grev UK

Grev,

From what I see, This kind of hamon is named Gunome midare and is a trade mark of Mino smiths as has been said by Mariusz and Josh :). I don't find any Nagamitsu Mino smith in Marius book. A complete picture of the hamon will be welcome, just to see if we are no mistaking Mino Hamon for bizen one. And now good night, it is 1h40 am and I get up at 5. :D

Hi Jean

The best I can do with the hamon - have an earlier nights sleep :D

rcpjki.jpg

Couldn't resist adding this one with a worried 'Thomas the Tank'

1immop.jpg

I hope this confirms the Mino school

A couple of big questions:

Is it worth having it polished and any estimate of the age

With thanks

Grev UK

From what I see, it looks like a mount fuji in the hamon.. or is that just the lighting? Also I would say no to a polish just because the nakago is totalled and the signature is leaning towards gimei (imho). The blade portion looks good. Keep as is my friend. The condition and polish is okay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..