TV Prog on Fri

Gentlemen

Have just seen a trailer on UK TV's "Yesterday Channel" about a prog due to be aired on Friday this week (Nov 30) at 21.00 hours. It is, I think, about a lost Masamune "surrender sword". I am not sure if I was interviewed for this or another similar one, but it looks pretty awful even without my input!

Clive Sinclaire

I am sure it would be awful without your input Mr. Sinclaire - it is amazing how the media's interpretation of validity of facts often differs from reality with no repercussions OR corrections. THe very worst is announced new medical studies by some loon in his basement and when pointed out that it is completely without any basis- never corrected.

Then again - facts in themselves are often boring :roll:

Clive, I suspect we will both blush with shame about appearing in this. I was persuaded to talk some rubbish for a programme and ended up getting nothing for an afternoon of my time, not to mention driving the film team backwards and forwards to the station, other than a rather ordinary lunch. Despite my telling them repeatedly that I was totally disinterested in the whole affair, I have little doubt we will be depicted as if we have spent half of our lives researching the whereabouts for this missing 'treasure'.

Ian Bottomley

I'm guessing this was the producer: (go to post by Bentheproducer) viewtopic.php?f=9&p=120306

I think we have a decent amount of info on the Honjo Masamune here. Wonder why he didn't pursue the info on the forum further? Or maybe we are in the credits :lol:

There was also this guy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9279&p=76963

Can someone record the show?

Brian

Hello all,

Sounds like an interesting topic anyway. ;)

They probably won’t ever find that sword. Everyone is looking for a Masamune.

According to Jim Kurrasch’s expert,

the hamon and sori were different, and it is not a Masamune.

-In addition, when it was kept by Tozenji Umanosuke, it is said that it was unclear who was assumed to be the craftsman of the sword.

-Albert Yamanaka, said when he saw it, it was not that exiting or impressive.

-The Ministry of Education list of lost treasures lists it

as “Den Masamune”

-The line drawing in “Kotoku Oshigata” shows it with a Ha-agari kuri juri.

-Ueno museum says the kissaki is nobiru.

-A book on the genealogy of Tokugawa family gives it a Hi.

-Dean Hartley said it’s an unusual tanto of Wakizashi length.

Sounds more like the nidai Yukimitsu listed in Hawley’s as a 20 pointer so it’s probably really junk like the experts claim. :lol:

Stephen T.

Hey Clive, I saw you on TV just now :o

You are a movie star now 8)

As for the prog... The first part explaining the history of swords and Masamune wasn't satisfactory, but it got a bit more interesting towards the end.. However, the poor sword photography and the amusing mispronunciation of most Japanese names was a bit of a let down in my opinion.

Well, gee.

I hope to see this program at some point - having tried to support it. I expect it can't be all bad. Still, having seen only the trailers referenced on this forum, I have to wonder why British announcers ALL have lousy Japanese. I know that the NHK just loves a British accent, but why can't British announcers get it right? What is with this maaSAMune stuff. Doesn't anybody care? Has no one ever asked where the bus stops or where the benjo is?

Peter

Peter Bleed wrote:

have to wonder why British announcers ALL have lousy Japanese. I know that the NHK just loves a British accent, but why can't British announcers get it right?

Peter,

I find it equally irritating when presenters do not take the trouble to find out the correct pronunciation for foreign names/terms. Interestingly the BBC used to have a department dedicated to offering guidance to their presenters on correct way to say something. Regrettably as more programmes are produced independently and at lower cost this attention to detail is often sacrificed.

However before describing this as a "British" problem perhaps you should listen to the attempts of some of the US news readers and presenters to pronounce English terms correctly let alone foreign names.

This is not a national issue (although the UK and US share an abysmal record on teaching foreign langauge) it is a result of lazy and cheap production and people not being bothered to get it right.

Hi Clive

This programme was one I recorded, as I was away at its showing. To say I was disappointed at the lack of presentation would be an understatement. When I saw yourself and Ian it had some promise, then from your valued input it went seriously downhill, and yes it was pretty awful. Produced by those who had little regard and scant knowledge of Japanese swords, or the people who treasured them.

But its sad to say, this is not the only misguided drivel out there.

Regards

Denis.

Hi Clive

This programme was one I recorded, as I was away at its showing. To say I was disappointed at the lack of presentation would be an understatement. When I saw yourself and Ian it had some promise, then from your valued input it went seriously downhill, and yes it was pretty awful. Produced by those who had little regard and scant knowledge of Japanese swords, or the people who treasured them.

But its sad to say, this is not the only misguided drivel out there.

Regards

Denis.

Even though its misguided, it might be fun to see. I can't seem to get it though. My email even bounces back. Oh well,..

Stephen T.

Hi Alex and Stephen

Sorry to say the device I recorded on, does not allow the extraction of the programme. You Tube has a trailer "Raider of the lost past. The lost sword of the Samurai" whether you can get more from that I don't know.

Worth a look? I thought so at first. But please give regard to Mr Sinclaire and Mr Bottomley's comments in earlier posts, if both these well respected gentlemen, hold this production in scant regard, then anything more I add, is unnecessary.

Regards both

Denis.

Denis,

That's Ok, I dont think I need to see it anyway. It's probably mostly junk I have already heard. You are exactly correct about Mr. Sinclaire and Mr. Bottomley. Both are well respected. Man I love Ian's accent!! So cool!!

Stephen T.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..