Beginner books

Hello guys,

I would like to ask a quick question about books for starters in the hobby.

I decided to buy two books:

-Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords: A Collector's Guide

-The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords

Those who have the The Samurai Sword: A Handbook from Yumoto, what is your opinion it is also worth to buy? Does it include other informations which is not in the two books I mentioned? I read comments about it, some say its for beginners some its not, lacks of pictures etc, so I am not sure should I buy it or not.

Thanks in advance!

I would have to disagree with John -

The Samurai Sword is where you need to start. It is a very good introduction and indeed has excellent references for variations in written kanji as seen in signatures. The connoisseurs book is a fantastic overview of the whole study focused on the practice of kantei. I feel you need to master the terminology and history and maybe get to know some of the more famous names before tackling this book.

I recommend you start with Yumoto Sensei's book and then read The Japanese Sword by Sato Kanzan which also introduces the subject of fittings and koshirae and has some great illustrations. If you totally devour these two books and can't wait for more move on to the more advanced books - keeping in mind unless you are seeing real swords in hand, the connoisseurs book is just a lot of names, dates and jargon.

mho

-t

PS Nakahara Sensei has a unique few on several subjects that I think are best appreciated after the "established" view is understood.

I am with Tom regarding Mr. Nakahara's book. While it contains much useful information some of his views are at variance with accepted teaching. Unless you have established the basics it is not possible to differentiate between what is the generally accepted point of view and which are the authors more eccentric opinions. While it is a good reference to have it needs to be used carefully.

I also agree that John Yumoto's work contains much that is still useful. It is the first book I bought 30 years ago and still refer back to it on occassion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..