• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great Work Uwe

If this is the sword I think it is we have spent some time looking at it not too long ago. It's interesting and as said your video is excellent but the one thing it did for me was to highlight the difference between seeing an image and seeing a blade in hand. While I appreciate all the detail your images illustrate they dont generate the awe or emotional response the blade did when I held it.

Of course this may not be the same blade and I am totally out of step, or maybe just becoming an aging hippy.

The image below is me looking at the sword and trying not to cry! (Image also by Uwe)

post-15-0-10295000-1582016622_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Paul,

this is really the sword that you are holding in your hand. And you are right: nothing is more enjoyable than holding a sword of that quality in your hands.

Over the last few months we were discussing a lot of topics. But somehow I got the feeling that most people don´t know, what we are talking about.

Nashiji hada, tekkogane, konuka, chikei, whatever...

Of course I could show just a photo. But then there is the problem with copyright and ownership. With a short film you have at least a chance to realise

what is meant. And with Rai Kunimitsu you have the best of the best in suguha. Some may disagree, but that´s okay. I will try to make some more

short films in the future. And only parts of the blade.

Uwe G.

PS: As far as I remember some tears we had to remove. :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Rayhan,  the baby-faced Dave has made a good basic attempt but that is what it is - very, very basic and interspersed with anime and video game clips. It failed to deliver on its promises of debunking myths. 
And much as I like Natasha and am very grateful for her helping us with various Leeds Armouries visits for our Society, I would have wanted to see Greg Irvine interviewed too.
There were some comments in there about the Mongol invasions and the resulting death of the tachi in favour of the shorter katana for single handed combat which is simply not the case (videlicet the long Nanbokucho tachi, which came in fashion exactly after the Mongol invasions). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

Thanks, Rayhan,  the baby-faced Dave has made a good basic attempt but that is what it is - very, very basic and interspersed with anime and video game clips. It failed to deliver on its promises of debunking myths. 
And much as I like Natasha and am very grateful for her helping us with various Leeds Armouries visits for our Society, I would have wanted to see Greg Irvine interviewed too.
There were some comments in there about the Mongol invasions and the resulting death of the tachi in favour of the shorter katana for single handed combat which is simply not the case (videlicet the long Nanbokucho tachi, which came in fashion exactly after the Mongol invasions). 

Agreed, I think this was a nice attempt at a nouveau take on the evolution of the sword. I liked that the mention there is still solidarity between the legends and the reality of the sword, keeps it interesting