Louis skebo

J Reid

Just wondering if any members here have used his polishing services before and if you have, maybe some examples of the work that he did for you, opinions? He is listed on the forum on the links page. I am in Canada so it just seems reasonable that I get in touch with him.

Much appreciated!

You might also want to consider Seki Takeo. Not only is he in Canada, but he is a fully trained, professional as well. Outside of Hayashi san in San Francisco, you won't find a better polisher outside of Japan, to my knowledge.

Thanks Chris. I found a topic on professional polishing that is now locked.. But the thing that stood out most for me currently was your comment regarding a polisher in Canada that has been properly trained. Do you have his contact info or webpage?

You might also want to consider Seki Takeo

An excellent polisher (604-936-1198), plus a reasonably short turn around time by comparison for this quality of work. He uses Brian Tschernega for habaki, so no issues there. In Japan, before coming to BC Canada, he was polishing new swords for Yoshindo Yoshihara san. For a sword made by a rated swordsmith he should certainly be considered.

I know Sasaki san. He is a good polisher and a really nice guy. I have known a few of his students through the years and they have all been good craftsman and good people. He has trained quite a few people. You won't go wrong with Seki san.

Hi Josh, I'm currently swamped with polishing and won't see the light of day for a couple of years most likely, I am located in Ottawa, if you are in the area we could always meet up for a chat.

Best regards,

Louis

Hi,

Ask him, he is the best placed to give you the right answer.

You are the one claiming he is "Japanese trained" so the burden is on you. So you have no details and are simply making an unsubstantiated claim?

And let's be clear: spending a few months, or even a year, here and there in Japan, is not what I would consider a full and proper apprenticeship. There are people in the US that like to portray themselves as "Japanese trained" but spent very little time in Japan. Disingenuous at best.

I feel this is one of those threads that is quickly going down hill and will be locked shortly.

Chris the only thing you haven't mentioned yet is that you offer polishing services, broker services, and shinsa services, if you want everything to be forthright then please dont forget to mention your financial interest in this topic.

Cheers.

Louis

Let's keep on track...the original 2 questions by the poster called for info and opinions of polishers....helpful information was provided by a number of members.

It was only when Henk-Jan asked if there was any Japanese trained polishers in Europe that a bit of discord arose, and that was about what constitutes Japanese trained.

I looked up the site Jacques recommended as Japanese trained and the individual simply says he is too well known to have to bother describing his experience...he also says he does not display pics of his polished swords as pics do not show it properly...so, I still don;t know anything about him or his skill.

So, let those who recommend a polisher as Japanese trained just include a statement on what the Japanese training consists of and all will be well.

regards,

I feel this is one of those threads that is quickly going down hill and will be locked shortly.

Chris the only thing you haven't mentioned yet is that you offer polishing services, broker services, and shinsa services, if you want everything to be forthright then please dont forget to mention your financial interest in this topic.

Cheers.

Louis

Yes, you seem to like to point that out every time the amateur versus fully trained professional togi discussion comes up, as if my services in some way invalidates the quality difference between amateurs and those that have been properly trained or influences my opinion on said differences.

If I was suggesting in any way, or implying in any manner, that one must somehow go through me to obtain proper polishing, and that I somehow had cornered the market on access to proper polishing, your point would be relevant.

As it is, if you noticed above, I recommended Seki san as a responsible, fully trained, professional polisher. I did not solicit any business. I gain nothing by recommending Seki san, other than the comfort that perhaps another blade will be spared the stoning of an amateur. For me, that is payment enough.

Otherwise, your comments are a poor attempt at deflecting the discussion away from the point: amateurs are no substitute for a proper, professionally trained polisher.

I asked this question gentlemen because I am not prepared nor have the money yet to travel to any US, Canadian or Hawaii based polisher of which I know the quality, and secondly, because I have had some offers from Dutch people claiming to be professional togishi who I do not trust for one second.

I am not willing to have my katana polished by any buffoon who just states he is a trained togishi. If and when my sword will be polished I will travel with it to personally deliver it to the polisher. Why ? Because too many swords are stolen in transit and the post and because it is a question of honour to my sword.

Any European polisher is much better for me at this time. From what I have heard mr. Damme is a restorer of saya and tosogu and not a polisher.

Why I want my sword to be polished by a Japanese trained polisher ?

Simple, because I do not believe for one second one can teach himself to polish.

From what I have read in the book : The Art of Japanese Sword Polishing, and from what I have seen myself in real life as well as on multiple photos, yes also those of a polisher I will not name, it is clear to me that no non-Japanese traditionally trained togishi can understand a blade fully and how to polish it.

Thats all. No reason to call this a topic which is spiralling downward.

KM

Ok..I am not gong to allow any further discussion on the topic of who is trained and how. It has been covered before. Any further posts about this will be deleted.

There are lists of polishers in the links section. Do your research..there is enough info on the NMB to enable anyone to make a choice. Some non-traditionally trained polishers are far better than others. Louis works on Jumonji yari and naginata, which many polishers won't even tackle.

Anyways..speak to the polishers, read the forum and search the net. Then make up your mind.

Serious warning...stay off this road :doubt:

Brian

Hi,

I just said showing that photos that Zénon Vandamme is a polisher, nothing else.

You claimed he is a Japanese trained polisher but you still haven't told us any details about his training. Furthermore, how do we know he in fact polished this blade?