Ebay - not available to Australia

Hi all,

as I snoop around ebay from time to time I am noticing that more and more sellers are saying "Not available to Australia".

I asked one guy and he said he had problems shipping out of the US (not a problem in Australia). He said he'd ship if I won an item. But strangely, this is spreading it seems to me.

Anyone know what's going on?

Regards,

Three things not to mention on customs dec. Sword, dagger or knife. These three terms trigger customs. Apparently, it's illegal to import a double edged sword. So if sword is written on the dec. instant flag. Next comes dagger or knife. Whilst it is legal to own or buy these items, for some strange reason, customs wont allow them without a lot of paper work. So if one writes, Nihonto, or Tanto, this doesn't raise any flags, and the item goes through, relatively smooth. :dunno:

Hi all, thanks for the feedback...my own experience is that swords come straight through Australian customs with no problems...only hold up is when value is over $1000 then I have to pay GST on price + shipping...this can delay a week or more.

My query seems to be directed at the US end...are they having so much trouble with Australian buyers and/orAust. Customs that quite a few sellers (of things other than swords also) are now putting "Not available to Australia" on their shipping info?

It's a mystery to me why this seems to be spreading.

Regards,

Hi George, You will also note on ebay that most U.S. sellers also mention that they will not FUDGE the customs forms. Placing a lower price on it so we Australians don't pay the Antique and import duties.

Since the Australian Government brought this in. Australian buyers have become notorious for asking this to be done. And I guess some sellers on ebay in the U.S. are fed up with it.

Most other countries have had the duties for many years. The honey moon period is over for us here in Australia. :(

I am waiting till to the Australian Government drop even lower the threshold. I have been told it will happen. :(

Not good for us collectors.

Cheer's,

Mark.

Totally agree with you David. When us Aussie's starting buying mostly on ebay years ago, this is what started it all off here. Australia Post was inundated with parcels coming in, and still are .The government then took an interest and saw a cash cow for them. Anyway like George, I will still pay the duties needed etc. And ask sellers if they will send to OZ.

Cheer's,

Mark.

Thanks for the comments.

I agree that the Aust Govt. sees a cash cow here on duty and of course local business is suffering from GST free on-line transactions...so expect a tightening of exemptions and lowering of the GST cut-off price.

Personally I have never asked a seller to falsify a price and despite this I have found that more often than not an item over $AU1000 will still get through without any trouble...if stopped, I pay.

I also have an American wife so my in-laws in US will always accept and tranship if a seller won't ship to Aust....so I always ask anyway if I see there is some seller resistance to selling to Australians and I usually get round it....but it just seems that this resistance is spreading in US.

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..