to clean or not to clean my shin gunto type 95

lkoester78

i have a shin gunto type 95 , it appears to be a early model, my great uncle brought it home from the pacific theater ww2 , it has years of dust accumulated on it and some material on the blade im not sure if it is rust or dried blood . im not a collector so im not sure if it is safe to clean it or should i leave it be ? i do not want to hurt the value any info would be helpful. any ideas on value would also be great all numbers match the blade locks firmly into the saya its only true charcter is a bullet hole in the handle no doubt that is directly realted to why the original owner "gave" it to my uncle (my uncle killed the previous owner in battle) i am considering selling it

this should be the link for pics :

ww2shinguntosword009.th.jpg

ww2shinguntosword007.th.jpg

ww2shinguntosword006.th.jpg

ww2shinguntosword003.th.jpg

ww2shinguntosword002.th.jpg

ww2shinguntosword001.th.jpg

My advice is to only deal with active red rust. If you plan to resell, the new owner can always clean, if that suits them. Once cleaned, you may find not as much interest from higher end collectors.

Do not clean the tang. Only light oil on blade. Please nothing abrasive on the blade.

Cheers

My advice is to only deal with active red rust. If you plan to resell, the new owner can always clean, if that suits them. Once cleaned, you may find not as much interest from higher end collectors.

Do not clean the tang. Only light oil on blade. Please nothing abrasive on the blade.

Cheers

thank you for the great advice upon further inspection i realize that it is actually a packing grease on the blade possibly cosmoline i am gonna list it on ebay and see what happens i think leaving it for the purchaser to clean is a great idea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..