O-Tanto (?) for consideration....

CurtisR

Greetings all,

As I made my way through my friend's treasure trove of blades, he showed me this one. Unfortunately, it was at his shop and very busy that day (like with a couple of others I've posted recently) and these are the best I could get, and forgot to measure the blade, etc. but will resolve that soon. Any opinions as to age or school would be very helpful (he's thinking of selling them either separately or as a collection and I recommended he begin by listing them here, but have to know what he's selling first :D . Unfortunately, I am not in the $ position to grab 'em.

Regardless, the saya seems to be of rosewood, and it is missing the Tsuba.

Many thanks!

Curtis R.

post-2807-14196846062053_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196846081149_thumb.jpg

post-2807-1419684609427_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196846106166_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196846118147_thumb.jpg

Mr. Bowen and Huntershooter ~

Thank you for the info so far! I've done some cropping/re-sized of the possible hagiri and to me, it looks to be rust. I didn't notice it in-hand, but will make sure next week. I believe is is only rust as well but will use a loupe on that area next time just to be sure..

Are there any *good*,non0destructive ways to clean this rust, or can you recommend someone here in the U.S.?

Here are the two extra pics....

post-2807-1419684617102_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196846174629_thumb.jpg

For Keith - yes, that was my mistake...this IS the same photo I posted for the Tokugawa mon question...I apologize. The Tokugawa blade is free from active rust, and the photo above DOES belong to this blade. I've had a difficult time somewhat in separating the images. I do have others - now in their own file - for the Mon piece and will post it's blade & fittings later. Similar blade shape, but thinner and no rust such as above.

And Surfson, the two could be twins! Different activity in the Hamon of course, but very similar in size, shape and signature. Did you sent it to Japan for polish?

For Mdiddy; I will check this area very carefully this coming Tuesday when I get back into his "chamber of secret swords" :badgrin:

Again, sorry for the confusion. The blade with the rust is in an old rosewood (saya) and I'll post more of the Tokugawa tomorrow for consideration.

Cheers!

Curtis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..