Which blade(s) are showa-to? ANSWERS HERE NOW

cabowen

Here is a little game called "spot the showa-to". Who wants to play? Just have a look and identify the blades that you think are showa-to, if any. Maybe our showa-to expert Jacques will play too!

Showa-to is a rather loosely used term for any non-traditionally made blade made during WWII. Usually they are made of western steel and oil quenched. There aren't any water quenched, western steel blades, and few if any oil quenched tamahagane blade. Some western steel blades were partially forged, but these are rather rare, as are other varieties, like the Mantetsu, etc. For this, just identify anything you think is non-traditionally made...

1.post-1462-14196845141947_thumb.jpg

2.post-1462-14196845143465_thumb.jpg

3.post-1462-14196845144165_thumb.jpg

4.post-1462-14196845144831_thumb.jpg

5.post-1462-14196845147337_thumb.jpg

6.post-1462-14196845151985_thumb.jpg

This will be a fantastic learning tool for those less experienced such as myself so could members please elaborate as to what it is that they see and base their opinions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Stu

PS: I should add that I learnt quite a bit from all the replies to my Star stamp question on the other thread and greatly appreciate those of you who took the time to expand upon the "why" of your respective positions. Thank you.

I'll say maybe 2 and 7 (koa-isshin? or I'm wrong and one or both are Yasukuni) and definitely number 9 (Seki). Should be fun even if incorrect.. Due to the limited pictures it might be more fair to say "X" out of 11 pics is a Showato? :dunno:

Regards,

Lance

Well I guess they indeed could all be Showato because any sword made in the Showa era would be a Showato. I'm assuming though that the question was asked on the basis that Showato is being used in the common manner of Nihonto enthusiast to indicate a non traditionally made blade. Correct?

Regards.

Stu

Using the non traditonally made definition of Showato I would go for nos 4 5 8 and 9 as being Showato

Like Tom I think they are were all made in the Showa period.

Reasons:

The other swords exhibit either a lot of nie or a more complex nioi with a lot of activity within the hamon.

Although sword 4 shows odd patches of nie it appear accidental rather than intended. I saw something similar on a blade that was attributed as oil quenched in an NTHK shinsa.

5, 8 and 9 show little life in the hamon and not much going on in the hada.

Having said all the above I believe it is difficult enough making these judgements sword in hand. doing it from a partial image increases the challenge considerably so I am far from confident in my choices.

Regards

Paul

Who said none were NBTHK papered????

I said they were all showato "because none had a NBTHK paper"...maybe I should have said "because none had a NBTHK paper visible"...(I was trying out Jacques' logic system that nothing can be nihonto without a NBTHK paper being seen)....looks like I didn't get it quite right, sorry, this was my first try... :lol:

Regards,

Well back to reality...a couple of pics make it hard to see , but going mainly on hada being present and hamon nie and ko-nie, my previous experience would say to me that all are nihonto except possibly # 5 and #9. (Edit to correct: I meant... I meant #8).

Regards,

BTW...this is a bit of a tangent, but I had the fun today to examine and identify a very nice gunto mounted Kawashima Tadayoshi shodai dated Oct 1940...nagashi lines were 20...only problem was nakago was quite rusted...bordering on rotten, but a nice 2 mil yen smith.

I have arrived late and had to wade through all of those other "guesses" before I have been able to cast these 'correct' answers.

Showa era blades include 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 10

Non-Showa-to are 2, 11, and 8

In the "No clue category", I'd put 7 and 9.

Hey, wait a minute, I think I want to think about this a bit more....

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..