latest Tsuba

peter

Hi Everyone,

I agree with Lorenzo on this. I think the tsuba is cast and likely artificially aged. It was cast from a Echizen Kinai school original. This my opinion and I could be wrong as the photos are poor and not very clear.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Hi Peter,

yes, while it's hard to 100% certain, especially where the images are not tack sharp, but there are a few too many tell-tale signs that make me feel it's a cast copy. Perhaps when you clean away some of that crud in the sukashi you'll be able to judge better.

Those 2 round blow holes in the kozuka hitsu are not what one would see in worked steel.

I get a sense that there's a trace (a bit more in some places) coarse seam running all around the inside of the openings. Also evident in the indented areas on the outside of the mimi.

The thing about Kinai work is that it is generally very good chiselled work. It's crsp and tidy in execution. And while corrosion can coarsen the surface the underlying craftsmanship doesn't then melt away, if that makes sense.

Here's very good example of classic Kinai work I've borrowed (nicked) from Danny Massey. A few more images of the Daisho pair on his site here. Well worth a look as they are a pretty decent pair (as the Bishop said to the actress) and at a great price.

post-229-14196845223857_thumb.jpg

Thank you all,

really nice pics of those tsuba to, what are the perameters for uploading pics to the board as ive tried with my phone and digital camera with no luck, i have been able overv time to use my camcorder but as you seen they aren't crisp enough,

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..