trouble buying a blade on ebay

New member ianb.hello all fellow sword followers.i am having trouble purchasing swords from u.s.i have watched 2nagamitsus go some lovely gendaitos.it is worse because i have the money to purchase a sword but cannot.can anyone suggest a way of buying privately from the u.s.i hope you can help me .i love the old masters but believe some gendaitos are worthy of high praise .any help appreciated.thanks

I have been allowed to bid on certain swords but Japanese and ww2 gets trust and safety.is there any in england.its just frustrating watching swords fly by when i have been able to bid on fwic swords.i am anovice really and have been reading and studying mei styles dates .whst is your favoured era and have you .any swords [*]from it.please keep in touch.ianb

Welcome Ian.

Buying from e bay is now almost impossible in the UK but there are very good sources for swords around the world. You have one great advantage, you live in the area of the Northern Token society!

(Though having two members called Ian B might be confusing!)

http://www.northerntokensociety.org.uk/ ... ut_Us.html It is so worth joining these guys, not only will you have access to a friendly and enthusiastic bunch of collectors but also when you do find a sword you wish to buy from overseas you will hit the problem of justifying its importation through customs. Membership of the society is one way of proving that you have a good reason for bringing the sword into the country.

I would also advise joining the To_ken Society of Great Britain, http://www.to-ken.com/ which will be of benefit as you start to explore this fascinating world!

Spare a thought for those of us who live in the outer fringes of the UK for whom any sort of contact with fellow collectors is a bit of a mission.

All the best.

Hi

I live in the UK and bought a wakizashi and Katana from Japan about a month ago

They were held up at customs but I give them my qualifications as an Aikido coach and insurance details

They were cleared within two days

I have no idea if this will always work but for me it was fine

You will see all over this message board the problems buying without seeing the item so be warned

The other advice in this thread is excellent so be careful

Grev UK

Ian et al, The rules are that you can import any antique sword into the UK (up to 1947 to allow for gunto) as well as any made by a recognised Japanese swordsmith to the present day. The ban was originally to prevent the import of Chinese and Indian fakes which were being bought by the 'headbangers' for committing evil deeds. However, replica swords could be imported by re-enactors or those used for martial arts - although you would need to prove that was why you wanted one. However some politician who thought he knew better screwed the whole law by insisting that these exemptions should also include any sword that is 'traditionally made', whatever that means. All that is now required is to argue that a replica is traditionally made and HMRC would have to disprove that it isn't to prevent importation.

Ian B (the other one)

Are you aware of Bill Tagg's shop in Cheapside, Liverpool? Last time I visited he had a couple of WW2 Nagamitsu in stock.....

Pete have you billys number i have bought f him before but can never find hi shop.p.s do you liv

e near warrington.i,ll understand if private.ibellis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..