Koshirae for appreciation, or not

Geraint

I have to confess that I really like a nice a sword in koshirae, don't tell me I know, I know! This one came to me with a Takada Sadayuki blade and mounts that were assumed to be silver. Time has confirmed that they are shibuichi with katakiri bori, honzogan silver and gold butterflies and blossoms. Fuchi, kashiara and kojiri all match and as the shibuichi tones down to a lovely grey they are getting better. Hirumaki tsuka with silver tombo menuki, gold foiled seppa, a true niju habaki but with a single piece silver foil jacket and an iron Higo style tsuba with some gold zohan and a silver fukurin. The kurikata is carved black horn.

Sorry, I am no photographer so any advice above point and click will be wasted I'm afraid. Just thought some of you might enjoy this.

All the best.

post-2724-14196844448544_thumb.jpg

post-2724-14196844449939_thumb.jpg

post-2724-14196844457146_thumb.jpg

post-2724-14196844462229_thumb.jpg

Lovely.

Take good care of it or trade it to me someday. Tom isn't the only one fond of Toppei koshirae.

If you accidentally cleaned it, the shibuichi will darken over time to a nice grey black with its own lustre to it.

Careful of fingerprints or other contaminants that cause it to patina unevenly.

Glad you like it guys. Not me who cleaned the shibuichi, a previous owner. When I acquired it it was described as silver due to some overzealous polishing. So far the kojiri has settled in the best but time will enhance the rest.

Thanks for your positive comments, just a shame it doesn't have Gotot Ichijo mei.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..