Nihon-to Magazine

Gentlemen

Recently we have given our website a bit of a face-lift and re-design, as well as to include some exciting new material described below. The first 'Nihon-to Magazine' is now on the website and the next 2 are ready to go on, depending on how the first is received. Your opinions would be welcome as this is a time consuming and labour intensive project.

"Beginning in 1994, the To-ken Society of Great Britain, published a magazine entitled simply “Nihon-to”. It was intended that this publication would be a top quality production and that there would be sufficient international subscriptions to make it break-even financially. Permission was obtained from the leading Japanese sources in the field of sword study, to directly translate material of our choice and much valuable material was published. We felt that it was the best on offer outside of Japan and we felt that no sword collector in the Western world could fail to subscribe. Unfortunately, subscriptions failed to cover production costs and the publication was heavily subsidised by To-ken Society of Great Britain, but after 9 issues we decided that there was insufficient international support and that continued publication was no longer viable.

It is now 13 years since the last issue and it cannot be denied that there is a great deal of useful information in “Nihon-to”, and so we have decided to put it onto our website so that it is again available to all. It will be put on exactly as it appeared in print, albeit in a web format. The introduction in issue 1 explains where all our material is sourced and translated."

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Wow..that was a HUGE amount of info for just one issue. What a monumental effort. :clap:

With the huge increase in Nihonto enthusiasts and online presence..perhaps you guys should poll a bit and see if it would be worthwhile to tackle something like that nowdays? A lot has changed nowdays...easier to send payments and easier to reach an international audience.

Brian

Dear Chaps

Thanks for the positive feedback. I have noticed a few spelling mistakes which we will correct asap. The second issue of Nihon-to Magazine is ready to be put on the site and in this one, Robert Haynes the well known Tosogu expert, with his unique insight makes comments on Issue 1 tosogu. My thanks go to Steve Hughes our new "webmaster" who has done the redesign of the site and processes all my ramblings!

I think you will find that most of the swords featured are not famous Kokuho etc, but for want of a better expression, "ordinary swords" that we might encounter in the West.

Clive Sinclaire

I can't believe that it is thirteen years since publication! I have all the issues and re visit them quite regularly because they do contain so much useful information. Great to see them on the website; if you think Issue 1 is a treat then just wait!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..