Tessen / gunsen / gunbai

Dear Rob,

Many, many years ago I was fortunate in acquiring a TESSEN. All the parchment was in such torn and rotted condition that I restored the parchment and laquered it to the correct colours. The ribs and handle are of solid iron. The handles have a diaper pattern inlaid with silver. I also added the silk tassel and mounted the completed project in a wooden case for display. As I recall it is quite heavy and is definitely very old. What appears as a tear in the parchment is in reality just a fold or better put a crease. My description ( caption ) reads GUNSEN, and should actually read TESSEN.

... Ron Watson

post-1782-141968442343_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196844238086_thumb.jpg

Ron.

I have a similar (not as decorated as yours) tessen which I had occasion to refurbish as you did. I'm curious to know if yours had pointed ribs when you removed the parchment. Also, do those pointed ribs indicate the fan could be used in some Ninja-ish fashion as a weapon? We know there was a branch of swordsmanship in Edo period that taught Tessen Jutsu in which the fan was employed as a parrying device, and perhaps to strike an opponent. (These things do have some weight, and could be used when closed to strike with). I was not aware of the pointed ribs before and thought they were perhaps intended as concealed stabbing blade(s).

My Tessen is old but in pretty bad condition. It does not have the lovely silver inlay of Ron's but it does have a Mei cut in the iron. Is it worth the price of restoration? Part of me says yes, for purely historical reasons, but it would be altruism towards the past, a sense of responsibility to stop or slow further degradation.

Certainly a nice object to have in one's collection.

Piers.

I say restore and be damned. A decent tessen was part of the equipage of a samurai in the field. (you have probably noticed how warm one gets in armour). They also make for an interesting display as Ron has done. If yours has a mei, then its either a true mei or one of those little poems, (sorry, forgot the Japanese term for the damn things...... Haiku perhaps?), that were so popular. Worth translating and preserving in my view. :)

Dear Keith, and Piers,

To answer Keith's question first, ... I had to take my display case down and open. Since the parchment covers both sides of the ribs, I could only go by feel. The ribs seem to all be very pointed, .... from which I deduce could render the Tessen not only as a blocking and/or striking weapon but also as a stabbing weapon which would ruin the parchment, ... but if necessary would also ruin your opponent's day ! I had never thought of a Tessen having this capability previously, ... so thank you for the bit of additional information.

To Piers, .... of course you want to restore your tessen, .... otherwise all you have is a skeleton of what was once a signalling device, an offensive weapon, a defensive weapon. Not to mention that unless restored it is not displayable. Parchment is ( at least in Canada ) used in virtually every Bakery and of excellent quality. I don't know how many hours I spent trying to find a supplier of parchment, ... and here was a supply not more than two blocks from my home ! A word of caution, ... get several sheets of parchment and not just two sheets, ... as it will take some experimenting to get everything to work out ( curvature, folds, .. etc. ).

... Ron Watson

Dear Rob,

Sorry to have cut you out of your own thread. I got mine at a sword show in Chicago from ... if I remember correctly the late Dean Hartley. Please don't hold me to that as it is at least 20 + years ago. I occassionally see one offered on high end Japanese web sites, ... but invariably expensive.

... Ron Watson

Piers.

Even if you only have part of the original parchment material it can be used to create a template for the replacement. Mine was intact but frayed and partly torn. (not surprising really, it dates back to the 17th century if the provenance I was given is any indication).

Rob.

Mine was given to me by my old Sensei, hence I am reasonably sure of its quality and also its provenance. It has some small historical significance.

Tessen from the Edo period I have noticed occasionally come up on ebay. Most are nothing special, but the odd one looks interesting. Be careful though, many will be modern fakes, or the solid 'club' variety which don't open. Some of the auction houses occasionally feature quality tessen and these are not cheap.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Here is the original thread from 4 years ago when my photography skills were obviously lacking. Silver sun on one side (now black) and red sun on the other. One of the bamboo ribs is split, and the black paperwork is very fragile.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4144&p=31219&hilit=tessen#p31219

Piers.

I think you forgot the viewtopic link. I dont see one in your last post. :D

Rob.

Sorry for contributing to the hijacking of your thread. You may have noticed however, that when a couple of us start babbling together, that some interesting bits and pieces come up. ;)

Rob, you can find tessen etc from time to time on yahoo Japan, here is a link were you can search for one, if you do find something that you are interested in there are several ways to go about purchasing for yahoo Japan.

http://www.jauce.com/view.php?seturl=http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list/%E6%AD%A6%E5%85%B7-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF-%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3/2084259484/?p=%E6%AD%A6%E5%85%B7_aps_tab_ex=commerce_aps_mode=1

Eric, would you please explain to us how we can get a Yahoo Japan account set up? I've tried multiple times over the past two years with zero success.

Thanks!

Ken

Ken, here is an easy way, contact Kelly Schmidt (schmidt_araki@yahoo.co.jp), he lives in Japan and speaks English, send him a link to a yahoo Japan auction and tell him how much your max bid is and he will bid for you, Kelly will then ship your item to you if you win, he charges a flat percentage plus shipping.

Rob et al, Two points (no pun intended). The ribs of the fan are pointed to facilitate assembly and the covering material is in fact a special paper. Apparently the fan-maker glued two sheets together leaving pockets for the ribs. These were then glued and inserted in the pockets, the pointed ends making the job easier.

I have a tessen, very plain and very heavy. Only the outer plates are plain russet iron, the inner ribs being blackened bamboo. Both sides of the paper are plain white but with a brown coating at the folds. On one side, where the paper is attached to the side plate is a signature 'Fujiwara Yukitada' in ink. They do turn up, but in my experience fetch quite a premium if the plates are decorated or the papers lacquered.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..