A Special Thank you

Derek

With a few of the recent posts that have been a bit negative, I just wanted to remind the veteran posters and true experts how much they are appreciated by the majority of us who read this forum.

I have only been a serious nihonto collector since 2001, but I read this forum every day. I take the advice of our experts very seriously. I read every nihonto book that I can get my hands on, attended several nihonto shows, and have been to a dozen museums with displayed swords.

Your advice is not lost. Some people do not buy junk to try and learn. Some people do ask the opinion of others before purchasing a sword. Some people do remember to sell from the bottom and buy the best they can afford. Some people buy only from trusted sources.

Sometimes it is easy to forget that these experts share their knowledge for free. Experts who have been published. Experts who have held, in their own hands, swords of quality that the majority of us have only seen pictures of.

I have not visited this forum every day to see a junk sword, then have another person say, "Cool sword, bro!" I come here to read the honest opinions of true experts of Nihonto. We are blessed to be able to post a sketchy photo of a signed blade, only to have several experts not only translate, but give an honest opinion of it. We get spoiled easily.

I often start to write a post, only to think better, and let it go. However, I feel it necessary to make a formal statement of appreciation to all of you that teach me so well. So thank you Mr Bowen, Mr Sinclaire, Mr Stein, Mr Tenold, Mr Weissberg, Mr Hallam, and all the other true experts here. Also, a special thanks to Brian, for hosting this forum, and the mods here.

Derek

Well, in the grand scheme of things, I am hardly a true expert, but I, as well as a good many others, do spend a considerable amount of time on this board, both on the forums and through private messages, helping where I can and it is always nice to see that that is appreciated. So, from me, you are most welcome for acknowledging those that share rather selflessly what they have learned at great cost in time, if not also money.

Thanks Derek for these kind words. We are here to tell the truth about swords/tosogu posted.

So here are advices from a seasoned collector to novices (they are not from me but I suscribe to them 100%)

Lurk

Read the FAQ

Introduce yourself

Lurk some more

Read a bunch of threads from the area of your interest

Join in

Realize that sword collectors need "Thick skin and a thicker wallet"

When you feel ready to buy a sword from a reputable dealer, feel free to ask opinion by PM to trusted members.

NEVER BUY FIRST THEN POST AFTER - ABOVE ALL ON E-BAY, THAT'S THE BEST WAY TO BE SHOT DOWN :laughabove:

I would also like to say thank you. You guys are all amazing, and I aspire to be as knowledgable as many of you are, one day. I appreciate all of the input, both positive and critical, posted daily. Whether or not its in regards to one of my posts -its still educational.. I am on here about 10 times a day. Without this forum, I would feel so alone in my obsession with the Japanese sword. :|

Josh

Yes, in a big way, nothing has changed sword collecting in the west the way the internet has....It is an incredible resource that is at once both a tremendous help and a path full of pitfalls that comes up short at the end. It makes it easy to forget that there is still no substitute for in hand learning under the guidance of an expert but it will give an almost unlimited look through the window. It also allows one to advance at a pace heretofore impossible outside of Japan. People who came to this hobby when all there was for info was a few books thin on info and thick with misconceptions had a whole different experience...This forum provides access to info that would take one otherwise decades to obtain on one's own....Three cheers to technology and to Brian!

As collector still in his infant stage, I have an opinion regarding this. Over the years and as a collector of timepieces and fountain pens, I truly believe that for a time it is often best to observe and absorb. Take the knowledge available and move forward with a cautious enthusiasm. And even though I don’t always heed my own advice, I am usually wise enough to take a breath, slow down and not stumble to badly.

For the most part, what I have seen is a group of people who possess a common passion, many of whom are gracious enough to share years of experience and expertise. I can say without reservation the information I have gathered during my short time here, surpasses the content and quality from other collecting endeavors. The level of those willing to offer help and advice (many times at an expert level) is the reason I spend well in excess of an hour here every day. And as mentioned, we get this for free. Simply amazing - and a huge thank you to Brian for providing us with this forum - repository.

I also believe that due to the nature of Nihonto and related items, the collecting (or stewardship if you will) requires a heightened degree of patience and ability to accept honest answers that stem from ones questions. And, as beginners we must be prepared to accept the occasional but well intentioned chiding and move forward with the understanding that when we ask questions, the responses are coming from people who have been in our shoes. Whether we want to realize it or not, the vast majority of them are attempting to help us find our way down this rather long, incredibly interesting and challenging road, and perhaps most importantly – trying to help us avoid the potential pitfalls they themselves may have encountered. If someone takes issue with a dozen people telling him the same thing, perhaps he needs to reexamine his methodology and – or look up the definition of insanity.

So in parting, I say thank you to all that are willing to take the time to aid in what will prove to be a lifelong passion and certainly a never ending process of education. Now I’m off to read my Northern California Sword Club Newsletter, and thumb through what is now one of my prized possessions – Hawley Revised!

Cheers,

Sam

Thanks to the knowledgeable NMB contributors and to our kind host Brian! :thanks: :bowdown:

It is worth noting that although giving/getting advice here is free, running a website is not. Im good untill March when I will renew my annual membership "fee". I hope that all can give something to keep NMB floating and ship-shape for years to come.

Derek, Could I echo your sentiments and offer my thanks to all the contributors of this Board and especially to Brian who makes it all possible. When I was first infected with the passion, as a poor joiner's lad growing up in the north of England, access to other enthusiasts and any real information was virtually non-existent. Just about the only book available was Basil Robinson's 'Arts of the Japanese Sword' which I had on permanent loan from the library. The only consolation was that swords were relatively plentiful and not too expensive. My heart goes out to the aspiring collectors of today who must sometimes wonder whether the ticket on a sword is the price or the length in microns. Even worse in many respects is the butchered state of so many items offered for sale. Despite this, new blood is constantly arriving on the scene to keep our wonderful obsession alive - long may they continue to do so.

Ian Bottomley

Thank you all for your kind words, they really do make a difference. I think one of the main reasons why this forum exists is a selfish one...As I still consider myself a novice myself..it is the easiest way for me to learn too. So hosting this forum allows me access to a world of knowledge that I could never come close to, living here in South Africa with few other ways to advance my knowledge. I merely facilitate the posting of the advice and knowledge. The real thanks must go out to all of you who take time to post advice, and share knowledge.

Although I wouldn't like to post names (since I am bound to forget a few important ones) a very special thanks must always go out to our Japanese friends who spend so much valuable time sharing their knowledge of the language with us, and assisting us with little reward besides our thanks. We are especially indebted to them.

Then there are the experts, authors, researchers and just collectors who make this all work. And of course my moderators who make this all possible too. Yes, running this forum takes time, effort and money...but the fact that for every one person who has a gripe..there are thousands reading and perhaps learning..makes it worthwhile. I know we have saved many people money on fakes, helped people find decent vendors, guided novices to become better collectors, perhaps saved a few good swords from destruction, and some of the beginners here will be the experts of the future. So with all of that in mind...I really don't have a choice but to continue what we do, the best way we can. :)

Regards,

Brian

A wise man once told me if everyone always agreed with you one of you is redundant and often the danger of agreeing is that you both may be wrong.

Anyone that can't take advice from someone who knows more than they do is nor really smart.

Evidence based decisions are always the best - too many people try and show decision based evidence which doesn't really hold for very long.

I thank all the wise men here as well - especially out esteemed moderators

and

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO our illustrious moderator in chief and web master Brian :clap: :clap:

Morning all,

In view of some recent negative comments, I'd like to add my sincere thanks for the existence of NMB, it's a valuable and unique resource.

Many people have mentioned Reinhard & Guido with some fondness.... I hope they still lurk here from time to time, I always found their comments to be witty, provocative, informative and intelligent (though not necessarily always in that order).

Cheers

I would like to add my thanks to those above. In an E society where we are all to a greater or lesser degree students, it is to the knowledgeable few that we the many owe gratitude. This vehicle for knowledge and exchange that we all spend time viewing is an invaluable resource. My thanks to Brian and the mods that they continue to selflessly dedicate so much of their time and effort in maintaining its integrity.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Indeed. What they said!

I lurk much more than post, as I have much to learn and little knowledge yet. Thank you to all who share their expertise and discerning eyes. All of us gain from the sometimes painful, but almost always, extremely objective disection of our 'treasures'.

Indeed. What they said!

I lurk much more than post, as I have much to learn and little knowledge yet. Thank you to all who share their expertise and discerning eyes. All of us gain from the sometimes painful, but almost always, extremely objective disection of our 'treasures'.

I am with Redmond here, thanks guys for making this a wonderful place of knowledge, culture and wisdom where the wise teach the blind see and the deaf hear.

I can only agree to the comments above and want to thank all the contributors on this board. :thanks:

It definetly is a great forum for nihonto collectors and enthusiasts from all over the world. Although I sometimes cannot get rid of the feeling, that some critics go a little overboard. A few of the people here seem to be happy with a piece of history and do not mind some flaws (even hagire). I appreciate this attitude as this means even a worn out blade gets a nice retirement home. Please think about this before harshly criticizing a polished down blade with flaws and the member who proudly posted pictures of such a blade.

Cheers,

Over the years and as a collector of timepieces and fountain pens, I truly believe that for a time it is often best to observe and absorb. Take the knowledge available and move forward with a cautious enthusiasm. And even though I don’t always heed my own advice, I am usually wise enough to take a breath, slow down and not stumble to badly.

Sam

OMG, been there, done that. Unfortunately, I believe that you likely have a significant mental problem and need to avail yourself of professional psychological assistance. If it helps, please let me know. :lol: So have you pondered your addiction to finely made, shiny metallic objects? Hmmmm, well, me neither. ;)

More seriously, for any newbies reading this, you don't need to rush out and wildly buy in the fear that stateside Nihonto are drying up. No, it's not the golden years of the fifties, sixties, and maybe seventies when they were a yard sale dime a dozen. Antiques Roadshow, eBay and the like have raised knowledge and interest to the point that some sellers are convinced that their rusty Showa stamped gunto is juyo. But, yes, as time goes by, the better swords are being repatriated to Japan or are disappearing into well heeled non-Japanese collections. However, the economic slowdown (twenty plus years old in the case of Japan) means that there are still decent blades that are still surfacing and are up for grabs, not subject to the big buck Japanese Nihonto collection black hole. Want a decent Japanese Sword? Then the first four hundred dollars you spend should be on books. Slow down, take time, the swords are not disappearing all that fast. If at all possible, go to a regional Nihonto show, rub elbows and ask questions. Really, not all the knowledgeable Nihonto types are crusty ^$$holes. Really. Not all. :D

. I appreciate this attitude as this means even a worn out blade gets a nice retirement home. Please think about this before harshly criticizing a polished down blade with flaws and the member who proudly posted pictures of such a blade.

Robert,

I have no objection for people collecting worn out blades but this is not a reason to mistake NMB for Salvation Army Counter. :D

Just a reminder, NMB is dedicated to the study of Nihonto, no one studies anything on worn out blades. :(

Hi

As a novice my first post (a tsuba) got a hammering and I was taken aback. It was only after reflection that I realised the wisdom of the comments

It made me look more carefully and read, read, and read a bit more along with the information in the NMB posts

Now I would say do not hold back we need to know the truth from the expertise on this (the best) message board

I also know that if there is unfair or unrealist critism Brian will step in and if Brian doesn't step in then you can be pretty sure the comments are just and honest

Don't change and keep up the good

Many thanks

Grev UK

Shoshin, gimei-sama said

"Just a reminder, NMB is dedicated to the study of Nihonto, no one studies anything on worn out blades. :("

With due respect, Jean, I couldn't agree less. I beleive that every blade has something to teach, even if they all aren't worth buying.

This has been an interesting thread. I'm glad that Brian got it started and I hope we will see him at future sword shows.

Peter

Okay enough bickering between eachother over certain posts and the like.

Bottem line is...

If you are going to foster a tired old blade and want to talk about it here on NMB. At least do yourself and others the courtesy to aknowledge the faults. If you do not, and present it proudly, then yes, you will get shut down as a noob should.. By words of wisdom. If you are a weathered collector and do not present a piece appropriately to the board, than expect to be viewed and treated as a NOOOB. Every nihonto here is worth talking about and will be discussed appropriately based on the specifics of the post and topic. A noob shouldnt take critical comments as an insult, and a weathered collector wouldnt get critical insults about a crappy blade he admires anyways if he worded his posts correctly..

ex.

"Hey guys, I know this blade is old and retired. The horimono sucks etc. But I like it anyways because its signed "_____" and regardless of whether or not its gimei, its probably the closest I will ever get to something along the line of the real thing...No comments nessesary. Just thought id share something that I am happy about. etc. etc."

You know?

Best,

Josh

P.s. Again, a special thank you to the NMB, Brian, the mods, and its members.

Josh,

You could not express more exactly my thought :clap:

We are not here to congratulate each other, we are here to learn and the best way is to tell the truth.

Peter,

You cannot imagine the number of times I have been criticised for my lack of wisdom in buying worn out blades in my youth. If there is something I have learned over decades is that no one but perhaps experts can see things in worn out blades. FYI, most of the Juyo blades are blades which have not seen much use.

Mariusz,

I'll say a rusted, out of polish, full of ware blade or blade which has been much abused. :)

Dear Jean,

I could not agree more :) I was just afraid, knowing the quality of some of your swords, that you would say shingane spots and a softened hamon would disqualify the blade....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..