Got my "Masamune" tanto -looks AWESOME

Chip,

Having the false signature removed professionally will cure the gimei problem but it leaves you with other problems. Before you spend any more money on this blade you need to learn if it is worth it; chances are good it isn't. The shoddy hori-mono, which most likely was done to hide a terrible flaw, is very troublesome. Are those cracks we see under the hori mono?

Next time, ask questions here before you buy. We can help you avoid similar mistakes in the future.

Grey

Just saw your question about a paper. No one will give a paper as is; the false signature would have to be removed. But even then no reputable organization would paper a blade with that hori-mono.

Masamune was the most famous Japanese swordsmith ever. There are so many false Masamune signatures; yours is one of them.

Dear Chris

I am an absolute newby ... What does that mean - and an explanation of terms would be very appreciated if I'm not asking for much... Each post I read the smile I got when I held a 700 year old blade that is sharp as a razor - fades away... It's pretty close to a sad grimace right now...

Thanks

Chip C

Dear Chris

I am an absolute newby ... What does that mean - and an explanation of terms would be very appreciated if I'm not asking for much... Each post I read the smile I got when I held a 700 year old blade that is sharp as a razor - fades away... It's pretty close to a sad grimace right now...

Thanks

Chip C

The large carving on the blade was done over the older two narrow grooves that were there first.

Don't feel too badly, many first swords are much worse....

Newbie nihonto collectors are among a crowd when it comes to making mistakes, which comes with trying to learn and collect nihonto at the same time. Experienced collectors are no less exposed to making errors by over looking what they should not have missed either. You can bet the phrase "what was I thinking" has been repeated many times over following a nihonto purchase. In light of all this what becomes important after one has been humbled is to learn from the lesson and study, so as not to repeat the same mistakes, nor make new ones that can be helped.

The following links are to an article especially for newbies to read http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/gdsword.htm, plus an example http://www.choshuya.co.jp/sale/gj/2011/1105english/15kunihira.htm of what a pristine tanto with many similar features as the one here looks like in virtually perfect condition for comparitive study. When looking at an older sword we should carry with us thoughts of what it looked like as new, so that we can begin to determine and assess its current condition including changes that have been made over time.

Chip,

Hopefully you will take this as stern but well-meaning advice. But it doesn't help to sugar coat it either.

To expect to find a treasure on eBay that 1000 serious Nihonto collectors managed to somehow overlook, is just plain nuts.

Every day, just about every online Nihonto collector goes online and trawls through the minefield that is eBay. They search for misspelled descriptions, out of polish swords, buy-it-now items, and just about every other combination of possible good deals. Trust me....by the time you check out an item, numerous experienced collectors have looked at it, and either set a high bid or rejected it.

They can recognise a good horimono, a good sugata, and sometimes just take a shot in the dark based on gut feel. Just about every one of us here saw that tanto while it was running, and thought "Oh gee....another "Masamune"...lol"

Forget eBay, you are not going to win until you have a lot of experience. And even then...there are maybe 2 great deals a year and most stuff goes for what it is worth. The 1 or 2 exceptions are not worth the hundreds of thousands of $'s that get spent looking for them.

You have a real tanto that has a few hundred years behind it. Forget the name, and use to to move forward. It's all about gaining experience.

Brian

Brian has put it perfectly.

It is a pity that many new collectors buy a sword just because of the name and not because of the sword. Of course a "big" name can add value to the sword, but it does not change the quality of the blade.

So Chip if you take this sword with your hands and it feels good, it looks good and you really like it (I hope otherwise you would not have bought it) then the name is just a "bonus". In your case forget the "bonus" and admire the blade, as it has a long history.

Chip, I am new to and have been there as well. I have to say that they are right and study is the best way. If you can return the blade spent the money on books if not, keep it as a learned lesson and continue studying.

Edit:

Realizing it was bought on auction returning is not a real option. Just try to learn as much as possible from it, buy books and study, al lot of info can be also found online. Many (I to am no exception) have learned the hard way, it dissapoints one in the beginning, but eventually Nihonto is worth to really get to know.

It was an auction. You won it..then offered and paid half what the ending price was. Even if the seller hinted that it was "the" Masamune, I don't feel it now ethical to return the tanto. Just move on...learn more, and make your second sword a better choice. There is a nice tanto in the FS section for under $2K that would have made a better deal. Ask first, then buy. And forget about finding treasure.

Brian

Chip san,

I think the word "gimei" may be premature here as another possibility exists (just my opinion).

You need to know there were about 25-30 smiths who signed Masamune between say 1280-1860, so yours is possibly one of these smiths. You need to consider that the blade may be just what it is, a blade by a guy named Masamune.....just not THE Masamune.

You have a genuine sword by (probably) a genuine maker named Masamune. You need to do a lot of study and see if the mei matches one of the 25-30. I don't think any of them are particularly well-known makers so your chances of finding which one he is is low, but the blade details may help you pin him down to a province...Masamunes worked in Awa, Bingo, Bizen, Echizen, Ise, Musashi, Rikuoku, Sagami (of course) and Yamashiro, and maybe if you re-examine the other inscription on the tang (I can't make it out) and if it is a date it will narrow down the smith/province even more....so get started. Maybe post a better pic of this inscription as we may be able to read it?

My suggestion is to take a deep breath, have a rum and coke and start getting/reading books and online searches. You may learn some stuff (maybe not), but at least you will begin the path to collector wisdom....The advice you have been given about study/collecting/ebay/gimei etc is good advice by people who KNOW...many learned the hard way...so in addition to what they said, I just add my 2 cents and advice that you don't jump off the deep end of shock/horror and reject nihonto...take this as the start of a learning curve (upwards that is! :lol: ).

Take your time and enjoy.

regards,

Chip,

I know the sting of realizing you did not get what you thought you paid for. I have been lurking on this site for over 4 years and have learned much from from these guys. I learned how buying things on impulse is always a bad thing. I went from buying alot of mediocre swords to buying one or two good swords a year. I learned that Sword shows and BOOKS are a great investment in time and money.

I can tell you that I wish I knew 4 years ago what I think I know now. More importantly, NMB gives you access to opinions and guidance from some of the best minds in this hobby or passion.

The trick is to listen to them.

Regards

Art Torano