ouch, what to think of this sawed off nakago?

gun addict

as most can see from my previous posts i am a very new collector and am excited by any nihon-to in my local area which is hard to come by. What is the opinion of this blade/style/hamon? Should i stop on by and take a few more better pictures of the blade? I am not sure if i have the skill to make a shirasaya but it this blade is worthy of such a mount and i can get it for cheaper i suppose that's also possible

If you can get it cheaper, then by all means do it, and the Boshi on it is really nice, so I think so.

I have a couple of blades that are going out for a polish when my turn is up, just waiting for the call, in about 6-9 months.

I would not put it back into the older saya, there could be dirt, old oil, or who knows it, that could deteriorate the blade even more, that's why majority of people have an shirasaya made for them when they have them polished.

My recent Kanezane sword i bought had cozmiline all over the blade, and every time I cleaned it, and put it back into the saya, it would recoat the blade with that crap, so I took the saya end cap off, pulled out the wood inserts, cleaned them down, sanded a little bit, took a torch to them, and now they are super clean, no cozmoline, or oil on the inside at all.

Not sure if others would have done that, but I did not like having the idea of that gunk inside the saya.

But the blade comes out really clean , with just the new oil I have on the blade now.

Brian

Hi Brian.

Before anyone else jumps all over you here is a thought. Cleaning out the saya liner for a gunto is a reasonable thing to do but be careful when sanding. Always small particles of the abrasive medium on the "sandpaper" become detached and embedded in the wood you are working on. A recipe for serious scratching to your blade if you are not careful. Might I suggest that rather than sanding you investigate some small, shaped scrapers? Easy enough to make and far safer in the long run.

All the best.

I used such a fine grit paper, I knew about that, as I have worked with wood before.

Thats why I took the torch to wood also, to stake care of any fine particles of wood sticking up, and plus it did away with any left over cozmoline also, and the wood was so smooth, and the blade comes out clean each and every time now.

I did this to protect my Kanezane blade, as i was getting tired of each and everytime I pulled the blade out, and the though of it being covered with that gunk was really bothering me also.

I used an 2000 grit sandpaper.

Brian

price is of one consideration, what to do with it afterward........best possible course of action is to just sent it to a restoration service and have a custom made tsuka made for, not sure if possible by how short the nakago has been sawed off. Who the heck in their right mind would do this?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..