Why wakizashi and others swords over 2 shaku

Christophe

Must we once again argue over the use of words?

I daresay if you sell a lifetime collection of 20 mediocre swords, and invest all of that cash into one sword the equivalent to a Masamune or Kiyomaru etc....you would still have a collection, probably better than most collectors. It would just consist of one sword, that is all. Whether it only becomes a "collection" at 2 swords or 5 or whatever is irrellevant. It's pointless debating it.

Brian

By dictionary definition, yes, a collection is a group of objects gathered, an accumulation. No problem. But, the point I'm making for the purpose of this discussion is that one good sword is a collection by the fact that one good sword is able to represent numerous collectible characteristics, not the least of which is quality. Something that at times, if not often, the 'collection' cannot match. Surely the by definiton collectors are not about to argue that a single high quality representative sword is not a collection in itself. Come on guys, why do you go looking for trouble where there is none.

tanto were preferred by older Japanese collectors because they were much easier to physically handle

That, plus storage space, ceiling heights, cost of polish per inch, cost of shirasaya, travel and shipping issues, add to it the fraction of the price of a daito by the same smith, all make tanto an attractive choice.

Chatting with Tsuruta-san of Aoi art last year, he said that tanto were preferred by older Japanese collectors because they were much easier to physically handle. ;)

And it is in keeping with the seemingly Japanese trait of love for things small....

When I first arrived in Japan, what stood out more than anything was how everything was small as compared to the US (except the insects)...Being a small, heavily populated country, that is to be expected I would suppose, but there definitely seems to be a special attraction to things on a miniature scale....

Just to add the working link, that Lorenzo mentioned, to this topic http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/articles/Size%20doesnt%20matter.pdf

Chatting with Tsuruta-san of Aoi art last year, he said that tanto were preferred by older Japanese collectors because they were much easier to physically handle. ;)

I to find it easier to handle Tanto and Wakizashi when I look at swords, that being said I do like Katana and Tachi to but when it comes to handling shorter is easier and not less beautiful or whatsoever :)

Jean, I think Chris means the giant enormous baby eating Mukade!!!!

If you live in Japan for any length of time, you understand the inspiration for their Mothra movie series...

Cockroaches, butterflies, bees/wasps, centipedes, spiders, beetles, etc., are all huge......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..