Plugged hitsu ana?

Grey Doffin

Hi guys,

Any idea what's happening with this tsuba?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271054054257?ss ... 1438.l2649

All I can figure is that the plugged ana never was an actual ana; it was made to look like one that has been plugged. I've never seen a faked ana before, though. Any better ideas?

Grey

Other side, Henry.

I thought the same as you but there is a plugged ana under the inlaid Samurai.

I wonder if the plugged ana was a mistake at the time of making?

The tsubashi just cut the ana on the wrong side.

The mounted Samurai looks part of the original design and as it is inlaid into the plug, the plug must have been there from the start.

It's a purely artistic device or conceit. I've seen it a few times. The idea is that the applied decoration is separate from the actual functional aspect of the tsuba and has somehow 'just' been placed on the tsuba. The whole composition was conceived from the start with this shakudo plug in place, as Lee pointed out. I doubt it was a mistake. :!:

This is the back of a Funada Ikkin tsuba with an inlaid shakudo plug on the ura but the front features a carving of a scholar arranging flowers, no sign of the plug on that side at all.

post-229-14196843044943_thumb.jpg

It's a purely artistic device or conceit. I've seen it a few times. The idea is that the applied decoration is separate from the actual functional aspect of the tsuba and has somehow 'just' been placed on the tsuba. The whole composition was conceived from the start with this shakudo plug in place, as Lee pointed out. I doubt it was a mistake. :!:

This is the back of a Funada Ikkin tsuba with an inlaid shakudo plug on the ura but the front features a carving of a scholar arranging flowers, no sign of the plug on that side at all.

[attachment=0]IMG_1383.JPG[/attachment]

Hi Ford,

Can we please see the other side if possible?

Thanks

Gwyn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..